Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Northern NJ - Lifelong Weber user  (Read 774 times)

stevecohen

• Happy Cooker
Northern NJ - Lifelong Weber user
« on: July 05, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »
Hi everyone, spent the last couple days doing some research - I have had a dark green SSP for easily 15 years and see that the kettle is rotting out in the bottom beginning with one touch basket/leg mounts giving way. I found a Red SSP on Craigslist for $75.00 - pumped to have this well maintained beauty to replace the old one.

Its got some big dollar coin sized rust spots - all located on the opposite side to the cooking grate hooks. Since it has no rust on the bottom of the kettle, I'm wondering how this occurs.

I theorize that it was stored in varying temps with the cover on and condensation occurred there.

In looking through the forums, I don't see any way to repair - only to wirebrush it a bit and season like a cast iron pan.

Thanks for the wealth of info here and sharing my passion for real grilling.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
Re: Northern NJ - Lifelong Weber user
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 09:21:34 PM »
Hello and welcome to the WKC from Eugene, Oregon.    Rust'd out leg sockets/ash sweep can occur when the vents are open/closed rather than closed/open (with respect to the lid/bowl).  Many theories as to how the grate-straps assist in the loss of enamel at the weld points.  Just do a search to find a few.   

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".