Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Considering a space saving "over kettle" table build...  (Read 1400 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Considering a space saving "over kettle" table build...
« on: July 05, 2018, 07:56:12 AM »
Pretty simple actually. Part of the reason I bought a kettle instead of a big horizontal smoker is twofold. First because the Weber kettle does a MUCH better job of grilling than any dedicated horizontal smoker. and second, because I have limited storage space. Even though the Weber is enameled and won't likely rust out like my New Braunfels Smoker did (2 of them rotted out, quick...), I still want to keep it stored in the garage workshop. This allows me to keep the grill at the front of the house, closer to the kitchen. I know most folks BBQ / Grill in the back yard, my neighborhood is odd. Our backyards are tiny, and the front yard is where most folks do their BBQing...

So knowing that. And as I mentioned above, my garage is also a woodworking shop, Space is at a premium. The Kettle grill makes for a great space saver, however I often see the tables these things get built into end up sucking up valuable floor space.  And honestly are pretty low. THe top of the kettle is pretty low honestly....

I was considering building a small BBQ table that would basically stow directly over the cooled kettle maybe 1" extra width and depth vs the kettle...  With the table top that basically just clears the handle on the lid by again, about an inch or so.

Has anyone here done something like that, and if so, what type of wood did you use and how did you finish it?
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Considering a space saving "over kettle" table build...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:26:38 AM »
Not exactly what you are talking about but I made this for my dad who grills in front of the garage.  It folds up and stows nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Re: Considering a space saving "over kettle" table build...
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 09:34:16 AM »
Good thing the Dr. Appointment is tomorrow to evaluate the meds I am on. (I injured my back / shoulder) the meds they have me on are making me stupid....

I hadn't even considered it, but I happen to have one of these...

Already to go, easy clean up. Duh....

I'm really not usually this dense honest!
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.