Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rusty Grate Cleaning  (Read 5361 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Rusty Grate Cleaning
« on: May 26, 2013, 08:45:49 PM »
I cleaned up a rusty grate that I thought was a gonner for sure. I soaked it in baking soda and vinegar. I scrubbed it with a stainless scrubber every couple hours. It came out really nice even though the chrome is completely gone. I will just treat it like cast iron. I didn't take any before pictures because I didn't think it was going to work as well as it did.

I soaked it in a lid with the holes taped closed.

Here it is ready to use after a few hours.

Then I cooked on it. :)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Rusty Grate Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:07:07 AM »
Nice work, Shaun. I like how you used the lid as a pan. You sure like your Salmon and you are a pro at cooking it too!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 05:55:03 AM »
Thanks, I do like salmon, but it wasn't some of my best work. I'm still getting this grill dialed in. I was way too close to the heat because the grate sat right on top of my basket. The grates in the old 26'rs sit really low.  I think I may be doing some pork ribs today to gunk it up a little.

Here's what I shoot for.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:09:13 AM by Duke »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 05:17:42 PM »
Nice job on saving that grate.  That fish looks great
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 05:54:18 PM »
Holy crap! Baking soda and vinegar turn rusty grates into craycorts?! I'm doing this!

They're nickel plated right, not chrome? Or is it all the same?
#grubdubs

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 06:24:47 PM »
Holy crap! Baking soda and vinegar turn rusty grates into craycorts?! I'm doing this!

They're nickel plated right, not chrome? Or is it all the same?
I think it's all the same, by may be wrong. It's working out nicely today. I just pulled a paella of of it, so watch for it in the foodie section. ;)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 07:31:43 AM »
Duke,

Baking soda and vinegar only or did you mix any water in with it?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 01:01:02 PM »
Sorry I just saw your question LB,

I got a bucket of hot water and poured it on until the grate was submerged, then I liberally poured some white vinegar in, probably most of a regular sized bottle. Next I replaced the old box of baking soda in the fridge with a new one and poured the whole box over the grate so it would rest on the bars for a while. After about an hour like that and the water had cooled down I took a metal scrubber and scrubbed it really good and then mixed up the water, vinegar and baking soda together and let it rest again. I repeated this a few times and then hosed it down and dried it immediately. After that I sprayed it heavily with Pam, but any oil will work and inserted it for use. I wiped it one more time before I put food on it and that was it. Now after each cook I oil it again for the next cook. The main goal is to keep it oiled when it's not in used.

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 02:44:27 PM »
Did you dump the box of baking soda on the grate while it was in the water, or did you pull the grate from the water, pour the baking soda over it, let it sit, then add everything into the water and mix it up?

Also, are we talking a gallon jug of vinegar, or like a quart bottle that costs a buck?