Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Why I hate Facebook, part 42  (Read 2776 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Why I hate Facebook, part 42
« on: June 03, 2018, 04:55:09 PM »
I’d finally joined the main (biggest) Weber kettle group there. Watching mostly from afar. Engaged on a few threads where I either recognized one of you, or it was a newbie question. There’s absolutely no way to engage on even a semi-regular basis there. Lots of flotsam and jetsam; it’s fine!

And out of the blue someone has to give an opinion about a daisy wheel kettle for sale with zero context, experience shared, nothing. Only, that “it’s shit.”

Opinions are great. Opinion with zero explanation = worthless. And as luck would have it, he devolved into both political bashing AND an ad hominem attack.

It was interesting to learn that “reporting” his comment seemed to go to FB and not to the group admin/moderator. Just another nail in FB’s coffin I suppose.

An actual website / blog such as WKC requires some effort / commitment on the part of the poster. We’ve all seen new members who only post a couple times and then gone. No harm, no foul of course. But rarely would anyone stick around to troll, and that makes all the difference. Well, that and actual moderators ...

Thank you all past and present who have made and continue to make this place the best. The One, The Only.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Why I hate Facebook, part 42
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 06:05:35 PM »
[emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 06:36:40 PM »
Never had a Facebook account and don’t plan on it.

This place is great and provides a welcome distraction from some of life’s stresses. A big thank you from me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 06:59:26 PM »
I fought joining Facebook until last year. Only reason I joined was to get a grill for a member in Australia. My wife was floored to see I was on FB then couldn’t believe the reason for joining. I said I couldn’t care any less for all the drama and bullshit. A guy needed help getting a grill in my town. It’s worth it just for marketplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 07:30:10 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke,

Every platform has its upside and downside...and idiots are everywhere ;)

I passed on Facebook back when it was only available to .edu email addresses (2005-6?).

I know I'm missing out on the marketplace...but I'm ok with that.

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 09:04:44 PM »

@addicted-to-smoke,

Every platform has its upside and downside...and idiots are everywhere ;)

I passed on Facebook back when it was only available to .edu email addresses (2005-6?).

I know I'm missing out on the marketplace...but I'm ok with that.

Same here. Never joined. I don’t really think my life is lacking because of it. Grill on, brothers.

-Jed
-Jed

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 12:48:59 PM »
Where was it...fakebook?
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 01:51:27 PM »
Where was it...fakebook?

Are asking where the Facebook discussion took place?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 06:34:28 PM »
Facebook can pound sand and kick rocks.

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
Why I hate Facebook, part 42
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 09:10:55 PM »
I’ve been in it since 2004 when it was only .edu logins and you could only see people at your university and join groups at your university.  It was good for what it was - A college social app.  Back then you could only add one pic - your profile pic.   Remember the IPhone was still 3 years away so there was not a constant barrage of useless pics.   When they opened it up to other universities and the general public it went downhill fast. Then came the introduction of games and business pages.  And the constant news feed.  Currently It does allow you to reach everyone to plan an event and share pictures with ease.   And the marketplace is nice. But the ads the junk pages and the memes make it just about unbearable to use. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:13:14 PM by Seth1025 »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 09:18:02 PM »
I like Facebook. It serves its purpose of easily connecting me with anyone I could ever want. Unfortunately there has been a lot of noise on the site the past couple of years, and their algorithms amplify the “echo chamber” effect. I’m part of many well run groups but they can be hard to find. I end up leaving the majority of groups that I join. The fb bbq groups are especially bad.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 04:16:40 AM »
Re: echo chamber

In years past I would have blamed users for their own insularity, but as some of us have come to learn over the last year or so, the algorithms are actually premised on users always wanting to know what the people they know are doing/liking/saying. That does not reflect real life!

Just the opposite; people become emboldened to say crap, and at length, they would otherwise not (probably) not do in real life.

I don’t know if the Groups are better or worse overall, the anonymous nature of them remains fundamentally different from forum groups such as this place and a couple others I know online: you get to know personalities in this setting.

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 06:53:55 AM »
I fought joining Facebook until last year. Only reason I joined was to get a grill for a member in Australia. My wife was floored to see I was on FB then couldn’t believe the reason for joining. I said I couldn’t care any less for all the drama and bullshit. A guy needed help getting a grill in my town. It’s worth it just for marketplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just joined 24 hours ago. My wife allways said I wasn't allowed to join because of my non pc crap and drama. I only joined to buy and sell
 and am sick and tired of CL losers.
 I seen a grill(s) I wanted but took me 8 frustrating hours to see any ads. Most ''are not available at this time ''BS.
I want to see items for sale quick and contact info right away, not farce book.