Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Okay who is really interested one one of these?  (Read 26213 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: Okay who is really interested one one of these?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 04:21:01 AM »
Me too. I could use a backup.

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 06:47:35 AM »
If were gonna one off something, I'd rather have the best. I'd like a SS one that worked with the stainless H sweepers that are the future and built to last.

Troy or Brian could do a crowdtilt funding project to get this thing going also. For this I'd like to see it around $30-50 range
#grubdubs

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Okay who is really interested one one of these?
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 08:05:44 AM »
I'm interested as well .
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »
Ok, so here's my take on this. Are we wanting restoration parts or mod parts?
If it could be the best of both worlds, that would be cool.  Oh yeah, it needs to be affordable.
At $50, its not. At $20, I think it is. I'm not counting shipping costs, just the part itself.

Facts:
The old sweepers will be gone and only old stockpiles will be available.
Old MT's and any old Performer grills could benefit from this part.
Retrofitting to the newer style ash bucket is always an option.
Installing the newer ash bucket on and old bowl requires a mod of some sort.
Hose clamps is one. Thats the easy method, but I for one don't care for the look.
There are other options, cut a groove in the leg socket or use self tapping screws to hold the ring to the socket.
Both of those options permanently damage the bowl and therefore can possibly reduce the collectible value. Are we wanting function over originality?
So, what is the best option?  A consensus would help the guy who is willing to take the time to build them, he is the one risking his time and energy and most of all money.

I like the origianl part. I also like the idea of having it work with the newer H style OT.
It doesn't need to be SS. Aluminum should work as long is it can support the weight.
Steel is still an option. Users would just need to do maintenance on that part. Clean, protect with high heat bbq paint. It will last a long time.
The trick to the H drive is the thickness of the material that they use for the washer. Its thinner than the old style washer.
Conclusion:
Can this cross bar be reproduced that would work with the H drive?
My opinion is that its probably not worth it. At least not for most people who do restorations.
I would just stock up on the older OT assemblies or look to convert to the newer ash buckets.
So is there enough interest in this part being reproduced?  I would say its a limited market.

So Brain, you got your work cut out for you.
Without your efforts, we wouldn't have the most amazing wood handles for our grills.
I think that without them, the hobby would not be what it is today.
How easily can you take an old beat up grill and make it pop back to life?

Now if we can get someone to make old style wheels and ash pans for 3 wheelers? Anyone?
Thanks again Brian! And Gummi too for all the effort he put into this as well. 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 09:49:23 AM »
You can't just cut an H into the ashbar. Long story short, the ashbar doesnt rotate with the sweeper handle but the H washer does. I have a part drawn up that will secure the H handle to the sweep but allows the bar to rotate. Im waiting for the parts to come in from Mikeinctown to finalize tolerances. See my DIY thread for more info.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 10:05:03 AM »
I'm just trying to provide a part to those who need it.  If someone gets the older style ash sweepers they can put this part right on. It's just as easy as that.... If someone wants to make some mods we can discuss that at some point.  Right now if your bucket is hanging off, you can put it back.  If you replace everything now with new parts it will take ten years to go bad anyhow......I'm just trying to gauge if this is worth it for us to even fool with these....We can make 10 if people are interested and go from there....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 10:07:35 AM »
Nevermind.   8)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 10:17:03 AM by Heyjude »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 10:10:43 AM »
Brian,  I would be in for one at the price you quoted.  Since I can't seem to find an original ash pan for my old 26er, thiis would be the best solution.
Let's see that SS Performer test.. 8)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 10:22:11 AM by Heyjude »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 10:27:02 AM »

Let's see that SS Performer test.. 8)

Yes, please! I really hope it fits

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 06:27:35 PM »
Will aluminum hold the weight of the ring, bucket, and a bucket full of ash?

How about a bucket of ash + water? (i know it's bad, but mistakes happen :))

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 07:19:46 PM »
Were still waiting on Brian..   8)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 07:59:39 PM »
What are you waiting on me?  Go back to the fucking hammock.....Who woke up this guy?  I'm working on it, which is much more that your doing, I might add...Go get your prescription.  We will see we made one, and the guy at work was gonna put it on this weekend, I should have some answers this week....So for now AJ go back to sleep, oh and while your doing all this waiting go put some handles on your SS performer.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 09:24:41 PM »
I for one am excited about this. People here are willing to take the time to research, design and fabricate replacement parts that are no longer available to maintain vintage kettles in their original configuration, from handles to ash pans and other components....I'd love to learn to make vintage ash catchers and ash triangles, with the right tools and determination, it can be done. I just need to practice. This is what makes this hobby even more exciting. We can restore kettles to original configuration or make a nice custom cooker. 

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 09:49:41 PM »
I for one am excited about this. People here are willing to take the time to research, design and fabricate replacement parts that are no longer available to maintain vintage kettles in their original configuration, from handles to ash pans and other components....I'd love to learn to make vintage ash catchers and ash triangles, with the right tools and determination, it can be done. I just need to practice. This is what makes this hobby even more exciting. We can restore kettles to original configuration or make a nice custom cooker.

If there is demand I can make the sheet metal pattern for the old style ashcatcher collar. It wouldn't be too much work to draw it out but actually making them them may be.  :)

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2013, 05:26:17 AM »
Count me in for one! My ash can is hanging off!
#grubdubs