Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beginna Grilla questions  (Read 684 times)

putoluto

• WKC Brave
Beginna Grilla questions
« on: May 28, 2018, 12:37:22 PM »
I've been on the site only a couple weeks. I'm restoring my dad's old redhead 22, and I got a 78 redhead in rough condition the Mrs wants me to get rid of.

Anyhow, today I want to make shrimp kabobs, corn on the cob, and grilled asparagus. 
My beginners questions are these:

1. Indirect for all?
2. I don't have a neat-o kabob-ring to keep the shrimp off the grill, maybe a couple small pavers or rocks to elevate the kabob sticks off the grill surface?
3. I know the asparagus will cook in just a small handful of minutes, and the corn in foil in about 20-30 minutes, but how do I cook up the kabob veggies without making the shrimp rubbery?

Thank y'all!

Putoluto

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Beginna Grilla questions
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 02:18:46 PM »
Saw something here the other day ... a ring placed center of grate (round trivet) and long kebab sticks resting on it and bowl rim. Food stays off the grate I suppose. You might even be able to turn them with lid on. Assuming the lid isn’t on ... that’s kind of a lid-off cook, could be.

The other tip there is to not get fancy ... veggies and meats on separate sticks. More flexibility in what gets cooked, how. Most people will remove from sticks at the plate, regardless.

I’ve tossed shrimp in a SS Weber grill pan, or a cage, with decent results. Or just do them on the griddle of your choice! About when they turn color they are done, from what I recall.

I roast bell pepper, so I’m not paying attention to texture so much. If I want crisp I either eat raw or oil/season and hit with high heat briefly.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »
My ideal kebab setup involves 2-4 kids all around a kettle, spinning the sticks until they feed me LOL.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 07:07:20 PM »
Thanks A2S, it turned out great!! I filled a pair of charcoal baskets with charcoal and centered them. I put the corn down for a half-hour, rotating a 1/4 turn every 5 minutes. After 20 minutes I put the bell peppers, onion, and asparagus in a grill basket. After 5 minutes I added the shrimp. I keep turning the veggies and then pulled them. Then I pulled the shrimp and everything else. I turned out Ah-Mazing!

Thanks for the input!

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 09:53:29 AM »
Sound to me like putoluto, already has his jack together...lol, maybe we, I, should be asking for tips...jk

Sent from my LG-H932 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 11:28:09 AM »
Hahaha, the only thing I have to offer a guy with "bbqking" in his title is volunteering to empty his q's ashtrays. I was fortunate with Beginner's Luck.