Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Made some more baskets  (Read 3448 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Made some more baskets
« on: May 27, 2018, 06:58:23 AM »

When I first started using a Weber kettle, I did not use baskets.  In fact, I didn't even know about them.

After seeing photos of baskets, plus some pics of homemade baskets, I decided to make some of my own.

Some of you may recall these threads:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/been-doing-some-fabricating-(pic-heavy)/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/a-couple-trials-using-homemade-charcoal-baskets/

Last year (2017), and I had carved up a beat-up 22" kettle salvaging as much as I could. 
The ring was there all winter in my garage just staring at me …. I knew that I had to do something with it.

IMG_8019.jpg" border="0

IMG_8020.jpg" border="0

Well, I ended up making three baskets out of that ring.

Image.jpg" border="0

Image-3.jpg" border="0

Image-4.jpg" border="0

Image-2.jpg" border="0

I also carved up another beat up kettle.  This time an 18" economy kettle. 

This basket is not quite half, but close.

Image-1.jpg" border="0

I now use baskets nearly 100% of the time.

I have been inspired my many over the years, so I hope to pass along some possible inspiration.  :D :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Made some more baskets
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 09:19:54 AM »
 Very cool. I have an extra 26 bowl that might meet a similar fate.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 04:10:05 AM »
I have been inspired, what a great use of old beater parts kettles
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 02:21:56 PM »
Nice work!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 01:30:30 AM »
So creative.  I think my fave would be the last pic.  Imagine you could go quite a while with that setup.
Would love to hear how long you could get out of that without replenishing coals.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 06:17:13 PM »
Can you measure how deep that ring you started with was? Also, do have any idea how much was cut off the top of the ring before starting. I just picked up a roadside kettle to do this. I am trying to figure out how much to cut off top and bottom to end up with the best shape. I am also thinking of adding a stainless steel mud pan as a water reservoir.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 12:27:15 PM »
Can you measure how deep that ring you started with was? Also, do have any idea how much was cut off the top of the ring before starting. I just picked up a roadside kettle to do this. I am trying to figure out how much to cut off top and bottom to end up with the best shape. I am also thinking of adding a stainless steel mud pan as a water reservoir.

I cut just below the top of the cooking grate strap, so 2-3/4" down from the lip.  Then 4-3/4" below that first cut.

Personally, I don't think a water reservoir is necessary, but it's your basket, so go for it.  Good luck!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 01:36:39 PM »
I already have the mud pan and it is not being used anymore so I will probably try it. Even if I didn't have it they are fairly cheap at a place like Menards or Harbor Freight.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 03:09:35 PM »

I already have the mud pan and it is not being used anymore so I will probably try it. Even if I didn't have it they are fairly cheap at a place like Menards or Harbor Freight.

Is your mud pan welded?  Mine is riveted and not water tight. It works well and doesn’t leak with mud in it but if I remember correctly it leaks with straight water in it. Good idea though. Hopefully it works. Let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 03:12:33 PM »
Pictures online do look welded. Excellent idea. I’ll check mine out. Maybe I remembered wrong. This could be the thing to complete the Marty bigger better basket for low and slow.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 04:03:57 PM »
Mud pan?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Made some more baskets
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 04:17:42 PM »
Drywall mud pan.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 04:30:53 PM by HoosierKettle »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 05:18:21 PM »
Oh that kind of mud pan. That's a big reservoir!

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 05:19:09 PM »
Mine is from Menards and it is welded.