Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How To Grill T-Bones on the SnS?  (Read 798 times)

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
How To Grill T-Bones on the SnS?
« on: May 26, 2018, 04:42:07 AM »
Pulled out some T-bones to thaw.   They are 7/8 inch thick.   I've got a bit of Cabelas steak rub here, but not enough I don't think.   Couple questions....What's the best process on the SnS for this thickness of steak?  On the SnS website they just have instructions for a thick steak.   Are there any good homemade rubs or something I might have on hand?  Don't want to run into town today.   Have a great day everyone!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How To Grill T-Bones on the SnS?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 05:07:16 AM »
Salt and pepper always works for steak. But all sorts of additions can be interesting. Granulated onion, garlic, paprika, etc.

Whenever I have to make up a pseudo "rub" or seasoning on the fly, I start with one maybe two parts I know belong, then stare into the cabinet and consider what might come next. Give it a minute. Might smell one or two and ask, "would this work with what I've already picked out?" Same process when eyeing various liquids.

I typically don't do thick steaks but would imagine you might turn/rotate a little more, to help ensure even cooking. Standard or reverse sear is up to you, and your heat level available at the time.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 05:09:57 AM »
A good steak only needs salt and pepper and a good hot fire...No tricks here...Just basic grilling...

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 05:15:29 AM »
A well marbled steak doesn’t need much. Salt and pepper is perfect.

I think for a 1” steak I would just do a direct, high heat cook. I like more of a rare steak so probably about 5 to 6 minutes total cook time. You could try the sns’ cold grate technique. I’ve never done it but it does look interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 05:21:16 AM »

I think for a 1” steak I would just do a direct, high heat cook. I like more of a rare steak so probably about 5 to 6 minutes total cook time. You could try the sns’ cold grate technique. I’ve never done it but it does look interesting.

Would you grill them over the SnS or just over a two layer hot grill, like maybe all the coals on half of the kettle?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 05:24:53 AM »

Would you grill them over the SnS or just over a two layer hot grill, like maybe all the coals on half of the kettle?
Using the sns’ is essentially having a 2 zone setup. Did I understand your question right?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 05:28:14 AM »

A good steak only needs salt and pepper and a good hot fire...No tricks here...Just basic grilling...

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 05:35:34 AM »

Using the sns’ is essentially having a 2 zone setup. Did I understand your question right?

Yes, but it puts all the coals on the clear side and not maybe on half the grill, but yes it's a two zone.