• Smokey Joe
Vortex
« on: May 12, 2018, 03:52:36 PM »
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 07:37:27 PM by twmv86 »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Vortex
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 05:07:53 PM »
Roof flashing is generally thin aluminum. Not the best choice for this project imo.  You would be better off finding a scrap of stainless somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 05:24:43 PM »
... or working a little extra and supporting a small business.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

twmv86

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 05:38:16 PM »
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 07:37:44 PM by twmv86 »

FTTH

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 06:01:05 PM »
I’ll pay the 40 for the real thing.

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 06:59:57 PM »
It’s important to support the folks that come up with innovative ideas for our hobby. 
Posting ideas on how to save a few dollars is not going to encourage new innovation, and frustrates us that appreciate the entrepreneurs that invest in an idea to help others.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

twmv86

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 07:27:28 PM »
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 07:38:05 PM by twmv86 »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 07:50:34 PM »
The truth is that we’re a niche hobby here. Our outward enthusiasm is what brings things like the Vortex to market. And yes, our same creativity towards mods and tweaks will lead some of us to make Poortex’s and other accessory copies that partially are parasitic. That’s the bargain manufacturers (including Weber of course) make to have our kind engaged.

I think overall we as a group strike the proper balance, meaning the majority do in fact buy the original thing for reasons of practicality.

All of which is to explain my comment better: I get the OP’s desire to make (or have made) his own version. Examples of that sort of thing are everywhere here.

I mean, it’s just a damn cone. But as noted, it’s a SS cone for not huge money, whereas aluminum flashing is closer to a waste of time. And we’ll always herald the great and try to steer a Grillfella to better solutions, honestly.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Vortex
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 07:18:09 AM »
I don’t blame him at all for wanting to make his own or have someone make it. He could customize different sizes. There will always be customers to buy the ready made version.

Personally I don’t care if anyone made bbq gadgets. I don’t need any of them.

And it looks like you guys drove him away. Nice work. [emoji17]

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 07:20:32 AM by HoosierKettle »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 07:47:57 AM »

... And it looks like you guys drove him away. Nice work. [emoji17]

Believe me when I say I’m sensitive about the “walled garden” environment that can sometimes be foisted upon new members. There’s always an initial social adjustment. And yes it took me two posts to better explain where I was coming from, so I’m proud of that.

But I am not and will not be responsible for anyone packing up ALL of their posts, including unrelated ones on other threads (?!) and apparently exiting.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Vortex
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 07:56:12 AM »

... And it looks like you guys drove him away. Nice work. [emoji17]

Believe me when I say I’m sensitive about the “walled garden” environment that can sometimes be foisted upon new members. There’s always an initial social adjustment. And yes it took me two posts to better explain where I was coming from, so I’m proud of that.

But I am not and will not be responsible for anyone packing up ALL of their posts, including unrelated ones on other threads (?!) and apparently exiting.

I don’t blame you. Just keeping the pot sufficiently stirred

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:03:40 AM by HoosierKettle »

twmv86

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 10:24:10 AM »

[/quote]

yeah you and erictag the  jackass are  EXACTLY why I  asked  the mod to delete  my account. who in the hell do you think you are to tell someone else what to do? this is why I asked the mod to delete my account so I wouldn't post crap  i shouldnt. but  if thats the only way to really get deleted so be it. if you think every modification on this board was hired out you must have been addicted to something else along the way. GFY  ok sixfour or whoever nuke me

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 11:50:03 AM »
Wow , someone struck a nerve !

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 01:46:46 PM »
yeah you

Actually YOU neither read (or chose to disregard) everything I typed after my initial response.

re: “GFY”

Thank you for the suggestion, but I must respectfully decline.

Hope you feel better soon.

P.S. Each of us has the ability to edit our own published posts at any time, but I understand that’s not convenient when you’re spitting nails.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 02:14:32 PM »
Back to grilling discussions.