Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red making a comeback?  (Read 7854 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Red making a comeback?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 08:35:17 AM »
The red that is coming out will probably not be a TRUE RED.
Unless they found some method to make it without violating violating any laws.
I like the idea of a removable handle, just not the shape or style.
It my belief that the reason they rust at all the welded spot is this"

Welding cleans the steel. Really clean.  Clean steel starts to flash rust immediately.  Porcelain coating doesn't stop what is going on under it. Certain climates and the way they are stored increses the rate at which the rust forms.  Its only a matter of time.. Ashes to Ashes as they say..
Enjoy them and rescue any of the oldies whenever you can.  8)

Nope. lol

After parts get welded and before they get painted they go through a chemical bath that removes and an all oils and you get 100% clean steel everywhere, not just at a weld. The most likely reason is that the paint cannot get 100% into the seam where the weld is and completely protect that seam from the elements. so over time humidity and the elements start to work at the open, non painted areas between the seam.

if you look at the inside of the lid or kettle bottom where the paint has 100% coverage, you don't see that same rusting.

I agree with mike. Since its spot welded the porcelain cannot seal under the handle 100%. Add in the flexing of the handle, the porcelain cracks and rust starts on the open steel.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 08:40:56 AM »
I like the removable handle bracket. It's probably less prone to rusting

Not sure it is any more or less prone to rusting.  A spot weld or a hole with hardware running through it, both have their plusses and minuses in terms of promoting rusting.  Do you want the leg sockets to be bolt on as well?  I bet some folks do.   

I am just not sure that this (rusting at the handle) is a problem that needs fixing on a kettle that cost around 100 bucks new in 2013 and will last 30 years.

I like the idea of a removable handle, just not the shape or style.

Right on.  Removable or not, that handle looks terrible.   My preference is toward the elegance of less hardware at the handle, hence I vote no removable handles!   (But I vote yes to bringing back original red.)

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 09:50:18 AM »
Reds won't be the same.  Old style red (pre 1999) is brighter, cherrier than new red.  New 2014 red will be brighter than current brick red (which will go away). 

Keep the old style (pre 1999) red, it's the real deal.   

Also, keep your WSM's...I didn't see any Cajun Bandits at MIM, but saw lots of WSM's.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 11:13:10 AM »
Whatever the science behind rust, its a fact of life. Webers rust adn chip at the weld points.
Leg scokets, handles, grate supports..  I still think the metal is more apt to be weaker in these locations. I can't beleive Weber does a great job cleaning them prior to adding the Porcelain.
Either way, grab an old red grill whenever you can..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 11:37:10 AM »
I heard the same thing from a Weber rep doing a demo at an Ace hardware.  Its going to be called "crimson".   He said its a little brighter than brick red.  We shall see!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
Whatever the science behind rust, its a fact of life. Webers rust adn chip at the weld points.
Leg scokets, handles, grate supports..  I still think the metal is more apt to be weaker in these locations. I can't beleive Weber does a great job cleaning them prior to adding the Porcelain.
Either way, grab an old red grill whenever you can..  8)

Handles and other welded area are places of stress. Any give is going to create minute cracks in the finish which will fail eventually. This can be eliminated by using heavier guage steel in every part of the process and adding gussets, but I don't want to pay $250 for a basic grill when one at a $99 price point does the job just fine.

As far as cleaning, I used to work on an assembly line and have seen (and had to clean out the wash booth) how parts are cleaned and painted. It is nearly impossible to miss one area because the parts are literally immersed in the chemical bath which removes all foreign matter.

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »
Ship them to china, paint them with good lead paint, then ship them back here. if our government is going to stifle business then then they deserve to lose tax money and jobs to other countries.
Hell, they could just send them to Mexico, would be cheaper.  But I wouldn't buy one from there.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 04:14:25 PM »
Handles and other welded area are places of stress. Any give is going to create minute cracks in the finish which will fail eventually. This can be eliminated by using heavier guage steel in every part of the process and adding gussets, but I don't want to pay $250 for a basic grill when one at a $99 price point does the job just fine.
I'm in 100% agreement with this. I'll be spraying those stress points with Pam when I clean up my cookers, much like I clean and oil grates after cooks. (Some times. ;) )
kettles, smokers...

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 06:08:50 PM »
Its going to be called "crimson".   He said its a little brighter than brick red.

Harley has a Crimson Red and that's the first thing I thought of when I read this post.  From the Harley Forum, I stole someone's painted bags pic.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 08:40:59 PM »
That's a nice Red.. I hope they come out on a Performer..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 03:08:13 AM »
That's a nice Red.. I hope they come out on a Performer..  8)

And a RED......er........"Crimson" Smokey Joe!!!
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 03:48:56 AM »
Ship them to china, paint them with good lead paint, then ship them back here. if our government is going to stifle business then then they deserve to lose tax money and jobs to other countries.
Hell, they could just send them to Mexico, would be cheaper.  But I wouldn't buy one from there.
I would. Still an American company, and if the reason they are made/pained elsewhere is because of our laws and the prohibiting of said manufacture, then we only have ourselves to blame. I buy GM vehicles even though parts are made elsewhere, and I buy plenty of other things that are made overseas, simply because we don't allow them to be made here.