Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Yellow Tale:From Western Mass. Dumpster to NJ Backyard, with an Assist from Ohio  (Read 1341 times)

DrewZ

• WKC Ranger
It was a cold rainy Thursday in February, and a Craigslist ad pops up for a free yellow in SW Massachusetts.
Craigslist pic:

I'm stuck at work in NJ, but I contact the owner anyway.  He's moving across country, and getting on a flight early the next morning.  As a last ditch effort, I ask him to leave it at the dumpster at the condo complex when he leaves.  I put out a feeler to the local-est WKCer I know--someone I've only PM'd with on a couple of occasions.  Logic be damned, he agrees to take the 90-minute drive in nasty weather in the hopes that this decidedly non-mint yellow will still be at the dumpster.
Sure enough, it was:

After the grill was secured, I tried to convince him to keep it for himself, as he's been looking for a yellow for a long time.  He won't hear it.  Eventually we'll make arrangements so that I can pick it up . . .

Although ideally I would have loved to find another yellow to hand off as a token of my gratitude, that was not in the cards.  However, a couple weeks ago, a CL listing popped up in Ohio for an SJ with a model number I hadn't seen before.  I researching the model number here, I find a thread where my New England super agent congratulates someone else on finding this same logo SJ, and puts out a B.O.L.O. for it.  I find a local WKC agent in Ohio who agrees to snag and ship this:

Fast forward to yesterday . . .

I meet up with this WKCer at a rest stop in Connecticut.  We have a real nice chat about grills, life, etc.  The yellow moves from his trunk to mine.  I pass off my token of gratitude and a little something that I had been cellaring. 

I have a separate thread for the cleanup (posted here), but this one's about the backstory.  The selflessness of WKCers never ceases to amaze me.  A huge thank you to @charred and @randy.  Without you guys, this would not be in my backyard:

First blush:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 03:12:22 AM by DrewZ »
Drew Z.
Ivory SSP, A-Code CGA, Blue 18" OTG, Eagles SJ, Snap On GA,  3-burner Genny Jr., Pat. Pending Aristocrat, 18" Tuck-N-Carry Midget, S-320, GGA

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
Congrats Drew. Glad it finally made it home. I have a bowl damper for you still.
Grate teamwork Fellas

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
Awesome teamwork guys! [emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

randy

• WKC Ranger
Glad to help brother

DrewZ

• WKC Ranger
Congrats Drew. Glad it finally made it home. I have a bowl damper for you still.
Grate teamwork Fellas

Thanks!  The missing damper was inside the grill.  :)
Drew Z.
Ivory SSP, A-Code CGA, Blue 18" OTG, Eagles SJ, Snap On GA,  3-burner Genny Jr., Pat. Pending Aristocrat, 18" Tuck-N-Carry Midget, S-320, GGA

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
Wow. Just simply wow. The WKC never ceases to amaze me!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

JDD

• WKC Ranger
Love this story, love that kettle!
May The Smoke Be With You!

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
That's very cool!  Nice work guys!

charred

• WKC Performer
Possible only because my 95-yr old mother was up for the ride that day! That's the honest truth. Lol.

Happy to help complete the circle. The clean up looks great!

Thanks again for the neat New Bel. SJ (and the SA. The seal remains intact for now). Both above and beyond, because the 26 flat top thumb wheel you alerted me to has left me in your debt

for a very long time. :)
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
... and mom with the assist!

Great story
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Great collaboration everyone!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
This story brought a tear to my eye. Kudos to you all!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

John

• Smokey Joe
Great story and it seems the selflessness is a great WKC trait because it’s the same here in Australia

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Good stuff all around!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Darko

• WKC Performer
This is how we roll!