Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Can't wait to get my CB door!  (Read 6650 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Can't wait to get my CB door!
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2018, 04:18:15 AM »
If I were to attempt to reshape it, I think I would cut a curve in a 2x and take a c clamp to force the door into the tighter curve (just the one end) Maybe two pieces of wood? To prevent creasing. Not sure but that’s what I would try with my limited knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
Re: Can't wait to get my CB door!
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2018, 04:45:06 AM »
Check with swamprb. I’m sure he would know the best way to reshape. Did they offer any ideas on the best way to bend it?

They said to use a gallon paint can (or something similar) and try to bend around it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abett

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2018, 05:28:12 AM »
It's thin aluminum ... it can easily be bent back.

But yeah I know what you mean. I just now caved and ordered one for my 18.5. Mine is the older style WSM with not only the door that never seals, but the round knob for the latch that's a joke. Saw nothing in the scratch 'n dent section of the store, so I'm getting the door + SouthCo latch kit.

I haven't used my WSM in 2-3 years! Today I've spent $100 on it (Gateway hanger kit also ...)
Please give link to Gateway for the hanger.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2018, 05:50:34 AM »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

abett

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2018, 09:29:53 AM »
Please give link to Gateway for the hanger.

@abett, here ya go! https://www.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/Rib-Hanger-Kit-p/10630.htm
Thank you. Is the 18.5 a 30 gallon or is that the 22.55?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2018, 09:54:02 AM »
A 30 gallon drum cooker uses grates like a 18.5” kettle or 18.5” WSM: 17.5” diameter.

If you had a 22.5” WSM you’d be looking for grates or accessories for a 55 gallon drum smoker, except Weber offers a readily available hanger for their 22.5” WSM already (minus the hooks; Gateway or someone else for those.) What I linked to works for what we were discussing, the 18.5” WSM.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2018, 01:53:27 PM »
Used the paint can as suggested and got it to fit nicely after some persuasion! Now to try it out.

Does the WSM typically run cooler (start with more lit coals) with the CB door?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »
Does the WSM typically run cooler (start with more lit coals) with the CB door?

It'll run cooler if it was running hot with the stock door due to air leakage.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Can't wait to get my CB door!
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2018, 03:09:20 PM »
Dang!  Yours fits better than mine now. Nice.

I’m glad to know about the paint can trick [emoji106]

In my case my old door had a bad latch and leaked bad so mine did run cooler and more controllable with the new door. Like ats said, it just depends how loose it ran before compared to now. If you are shooting for 275-325 range than definitely start with more lit.