Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: KillaGrilla grate and chicken wings?  (Read 1001 times)

ZebraZoo

• Smokey Joe
KillaGrilla grate and chicken wings?
« on: April 15, 2018, 11:04:52 AM »
Hi folks! I’m considering upgrading the grate on my 26” kettle to the KillaGrilla grate. My only concern is that I make a lot of chicken wings and I’m worried about the gap spacing. Can someone with a KillaGrilla grate confirm for me that this isn’t a problem? I don’t want my wings falling through and I don’t want to keep two grates around.

Thanks!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: KillaGrilla grate and chicken wings?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 12:02:38 PM »
Welcome to WKC.

I don't have that grate but it's hard to imagine wings would fall through. And you couldn't turn them perpendicular?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ZebraZoo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 12:06:11 PM »
With the vortex, the wings always point to the center so there will be a few that line up directly with the gap.

The rest shouldn’t be a problem.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 02:28:15 PM »

I have the 26" Killa Grilla grate with two flip up doors (KG9245 - made for vintage 26er's). The spacing between the grate rods is 1/2" as are all on all the Killa Grilla grates.   I don't cook chicken wings by themselves but my guess is it is possible a wing could slip through the gap if a person was careless.  I have been using my 22" Killa Grilla grate for over a year now.  Only thing I lost through the gap was a sliced zucchini once.  I use a spatula now with zucchini instead of tongs. 

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 02:57:03 PM »

I have the 26" Killa Grilla grate with two flip up doors (KG9245 - made for vintage 26er's). The spacing between the grate rods is 1/2" as are all on all the Killa Grilla grates.   I don't cook chicken wings by themselves but my guess is it is possible a wing could slip through the gap if a person was careless.  I have been using my 22" Killa Grilla grate for over a year now.  Only thing I lost through the gap was a sliced zucchini once.  I use a spatula now with zucchini instead of tongs. 

Can you clarify if that is 1/2" center to center or 1/2" gap between rods?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

ZebraZoo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 03:04:18 PM »
That’s a beautiful pick. I ordered my grate!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 04:55:01 PM »

@pbe gummi bear - 1/2" gap between the rods. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

ZebraZoo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »
Here is a pic of the wings on my 22. You can see why I need the 26”!!