Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: By which names does this Weber go by?  (Read 1860 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
By which names does this Weber go by?
« on: April 13, 2018, 10:57:27 AM »
For the life of me I can't find any identification on it. I seem to recall these as being transition models, i.e. square exposed frame but with thermoplastic tables.

You can't tell from the photo but the middle burner tube seems for a different grill. It was just flopping around, and when I investigated discovered it's too long. If I push it all the way back on the valve, and on the crossover tube, the manifold can no longer attach to the cook box, and the other burner tubes are then too short to reach their valves. A shame, since all the tubes seem OK.

I also want to come up with some kind of wide bracket that can be slipped over the frame and then run a bolt all the way through to the firebox. OR maybe just forget all of that and install a pair of brackets on the right side of the cook box that will retain it against that left cross frame member.

I'm going for functional on this, not looks.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SixZeroFour

Re: By which names does this Weber go by?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 11:42:33 AM »
Appears to be a Genesis Silver C

The middle burner MAY be correct but has been installed incorrectly. Normally it hangs from a bracket/tab on the bottom of the crossover tube. It likely broke off so they jimmy rigged it to work.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:48:06 AM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 11:49:57 AM »
They do sell the crossover tube on its own so you can likely salvage the burners. I’ll get the part number posted up later today.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 12:15:06 PM »
Thanks Matt. The crossover tube appears to be fine; it's that middle burner tube that has me stumped. Here's a few more pix:

This is my interpretation of how the middle tube might rest on the crossover. Been a long time since I've had one of these in the herd and cannot remember what's correct. When I flipped it the other way it seemed to be sticking up too high if you get my meaning. I don't know why the bracket just isn't in the middle of the tube's end, since the crossover runs through the middle of the other tubes?

In these images, the middle tube is pushed as far back onto the valve as it will go. The other two now barely fit on, AND the manifold would now be jammed up against the frame crossmember (and not secured to the cook box.)

The lid has the curved-down brackets and round handle with built-in lights.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »
Wait --- you're right. It should be like this:

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 01:03:02 PM »
That’s the one 👍

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 06:24:45 PM »
There's a fairly simple fix for that cross member.  Sounds complicated but it isn't.

Remove the cook box and cut the cross member off completely.     Get a matching piece of square stock and cut down to fit lengthwise.  Use threaded tube inserts in each end of the tube.  Line it up, drill a hole in front and back tubes to thread bolts through.

Here's a thread with details and photos over at Virtual Weber.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?69099-That-feeling-when-you-know-what-is-about-to-happen-next-will-be-amazing/page3

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 07:46:42 PM »
Thanks!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 11:28:17 AM »
The crossover tube on its own should be part #81335

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 02:28:30 PM »
Thanks again. I'm on the fence now. Two SS automotive hose clamps might do the trick.

It's not the $10 I'm worried about, but to remove the burners now I gotta drill out the nubs for what used to be the screws securing them in.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 04:42:10 PM »
Thanks again. I'm on the fence now. Two SS automotive hose clamps might do the trick.

It's not the $10 I'm worried about, but to remove the burners now I gotta drill out the nubs for what used to be the screws securing them in.
No, leave those alone!  They are really just there to keep the notches of the tubes in place.   Spray them down with some degreaser and then try to work a razor blade under the head to loosen up the built up gunk.  Tubes should just pull right out with some pressure.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jon Tofte

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 06:40:45 PM »
Great advice regarding removing the burners! You will never get those old screws out and wreck the firebox trying.

The light handle is actually a genuine Weber accessory that has been added to this grill which looks to be an early 2000s Genesis Silver C.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
Custom Platinum One Touc, Red Patent Pending "Aristocrat" 26, Red 22 MBH, Black '00 Flat-top 26, Black 22 MBH, and '74 Black "49'er" 18. And too many projects!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 11:24:36 AM »
I'd forgotten the tubes are notched in so that screw removal isn't necessary.

Wow, OK. I'll try the degreaser and razor blade method. But I'm tellin' ya, the screw heads are rounded down so I'll be cutting notches where a gap should be to slide out the tubes.

Thanks Jon, that explains why I haven't seen pictures of the handle. I didn't realize the whole thing was a replacement handle. It does have one crack in the plastic I'm not thrilled about, and I haven't tried to take it apart yet. I suspect I'll find corroded batteries.