Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Today was mod day at my house  (Read 2434 times)

bigssa

• WKC Brave
Today was mod day at my house
« on: April 08, 2018, 01:07:55 PM »
It all started when I purchased a stainless steel kitchen table for my WSM because my old cart was just falling apart due to my lack of wood working skills. I started the day by cutting a hole for the WSM:

I then added a new hinge for the WSM to conveniently hold the lid:

Then, came the old Kettle extension for my WSM. Cut the bottom off of the kettle and added a gasket to seal the area between the WSM and the kettle:

Lastly, and completely unrelated, I combined the charcoal baskets into a single basket:

Fun day!

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Today was mod day at my house
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 02:38:42 PM »
That's a productive day!

Next time make it doubly productive and smoke something while you're at it [emoji16]
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »
Nice! Is that the kettle bottom I sent, or is that earmarked for another project?

Looks also like you could do some kick ass high heat indirect cooks with it, since the blower at the bottom could push extra air?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 05:00:16 PM »
Nice! Is that the kettle bottom I sent, or is that earmarked for another project?

Looks also like you could do some kick ass high heat indirect cooks with it, since the blower at the bottom could push extra air?
Yes, that is the kettle bottom that you sent me as part of the secret Santa. It was perfect for this project.

I actually have two blowers connected to a homemade temperature controller that has a built in battery or can run off of AC. I have never really tried to crank the temps up beyond 300, but I am sure it would have no problem doing that.

ZebraZoo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 10:44:56 AM »
Can you talk about how you cut the hole in that table? I’ve been wanting to do this for my kettle

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 11:40:05 AM »
Can you talk about how you cut the hole in that table? I’ve been wanting to do this for my kettle
I traced the lid of the WSM on the table in the desired location. I then drilled a relatively large hole close to the line that would accommodate the blade of a skill saw. I then used the skill saw with a blade made for cutting metal. That worked pretty well 50% through the circumference. At that point I had to take a 2X4 and jammed it between the table and the center of the hole being cut out. I secured the metal to the 2X4 with a few screws and got back to cutting. There was still a good bit of movement in the metal, but it allowed me to get through it. I would have loved to use a plasma cutter, which would have likely made for a much easier cutting experience, but I don’t have one nor do I know anybody that owns one.
I’m sure somebody knows of an easier way to do this, but this method worked for me with the tools that I own.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 04:06:27 PM »
You can also use a circular cutting guide with the jigsaw to create the round hole

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791