Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hot Red Head (Limited Edition Color Change)  (Read 1643 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Hot Red Head (Limited Edition Color Change)
« on: April 04, 2018, 01:12:29 PM »
Finally got around to cooking in it and thought people might be interested in the color change from hot to cold.  It definitely gets a bit darker.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 01:15:59 PM by mcgolden »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Hot Red Head (Limited Edition Color Change)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 01:25:58 PM »
That’s great!  I asked about that on here awhile back and nobody spoke up. Finally you and Jules have said it changes color but this is the first picture I’ve seen a before and after. Thanks for sharing [emoji106]

Definitely makes this grill more desirable to me. I don’t have one but that makes it tempting.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 01:53:29 PM »
Beautiful!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 02:12:33 PM »
Yeah it really does gets very dark under high heat. Use a vortex/poortex  and the grill will end up with slight fade.  Lighter toward the bowl bottom and darker around the lid handle area.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 02:23:54 PM »
Oh, you mean from cold to HOT it gets darker. I was confused at first.

That's quite the change. Looks like cherry when really hot. The other day I had my old red Performer cranked way up and it looked like a burgundy or dark plum.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 03:41:05 PM »
Cool! Noticeable color change.  I may use my Red LE as a pizza oven just to check out how well the porcelain coating hold up.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 03:48:03 PM »
Cool! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 04:06:11 PM »

Cool! Noticeable color change.  I may use my Red LE as a pizza oven just to check out how well the porcelain coating hold up.

Hopefully if you do the porcelain won’t just shoot off like a rocket. I’ve already got a claim in to Weber. The edge of the lid started oxidizing / rusting before the first cook. Hopefully Weber makes it right.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 04:44:35 PM »

Hopefully if you do the porcelain won’t just shoot off like a rocket. I’ve already got a claim in to Weber. The edge of the lid started oxidizing / rusting before the first cook. Hopefully Weber makes it right.

It won't happen when it is hot. Usually after a heat cycle meaning after it cools down. Might even take few cooks/heat cycles before porcelain pops. After few cooks and no porcelain loss.... than should be ok.

How is the lid after that first cook? Any pops? Just wondering.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 04:45:52 PM »

It won't happen when it is hot. Usually after a heat cycle meaning after it cools down. Might even take few cooks/heat cycles before porcelain pops. After few cooks and no porcelain loss.... than should be ok.

None that I’ve seen.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 05:41:50 PM »

None that I’ve seen.

Good to hear that! Regardless, hope Weber sends you the replacement lid.

northernQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 04:48:33 AM »
I have a red SSP that does the same. Thought the beer was affecting my eyesight the first time :)

V-22 Osprey

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 04:01:06 PM »
Very cool, really digging the dark red!  Picked one up today, tried to leave it at Home Depot but 90 bucks after military discount, I couldn't help myself!

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 04:16:26 PM »

I have a red SSP that does the same. Thought the beer was affecting my eyesight the first time :)

Hahaha that’s funny shit ! [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 09:12:43 PM »

Very cool, really digging the dark red!  Picked one up today, tried to leave it at Home Depot but 90 bucks after military discount, I couldn't help myself!

For $90, who could blame you? Thank you for your service. [emoji106]