Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: You missed one!  (Read 6149 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Re: You missed one!
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 05:40:23 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts on the new lid.  I guess all I can do is call Weber and see what happens...   Maybe I'll get some time to clean out that burner tomorrow.

Hey Jude-
What's wrong with the one-touch set up on this grill?  It seems to work fine as far as I can see.
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 06:18:01 PM »
If the One Touch works, then leave it alone.. It just looked real loose.
Ther intent of the OT is to easily remove ashes and to control the temp. If it lets too much air in. your temps are going to go up. You also use more fuel than you probably need.
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 06:46:53 PM »
Are the handles painted black or something?  They look so dark....Just get a new vent and replace the old one.  Maybe if they send you a new lid then it will have a vent.  I would also suggest to find a vent code that is less than ten years old.  I don't know what was the last year that the SS Performer was made but I would know the 2005 vent code off hand so if they ask you can tell them....the rest I pretty much agree with AJ....believe it or not
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 06:47:56 PM »
Just a observation on the burner tubes.  The Performer tubes has a long slit on both side, maybe about 1 1/2 inch long.  The flame from that size opening will be larger than that if a Spirit or Genesis burner tube.  Those have very small holes for the gas-flame to burn.  The performer flame can be 2 1/2 inches long while the Spirit/Genesis will be about 1/2 to 1 1/2 long.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 07:29:19 PM »
Are the handles painted black or something?  They look so dark....Just get a new vent and replace the old one.  Maybe if they send you a new lid then it will have a vent.  I would also suggest to find a vent code that is less than ten years old.  I don't know what was the last year that the SS Performer was made but I would know the 2005 vent code off hand so if they ask you can tell them....the rest I pretty much agree with AJ....believe it or not

Here ye, Here ye... You heard it here first.. Brian agrees with me.. What did I say?  8)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 07:48:22 PM »
Oh calm down...even a blind dog finds a bone every now and again.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 08:09:50 PM »
Well I'm gonna take my bone and run!  8)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 09:00:53 PM »
Hey sax I have heard that weber only stocks the new style performer lid where the thermometer is on the lid, not the handle. If you do get it warranteed don't toss out the old lid!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 02:35:22 AM »
Brian-
Yes, the handles on this grill are a very dark charcoal grey, almost black.   They're kinda LAME looking in my opinion, I think this thing is gonna need to get dressed-up with some nice dark WALNUT handles instead.    ;)

Gummi-
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind when I check with Weber on a replacement lid. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:37:11 AM by saxart »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 06:45:09 AM »
On the SS Performers, Weber made some handles in black and some in grey. The little plastic handle on the vent tab and the ss lid handle will match.   8)

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 11:41:01 AM »
I called on mine because where the lid bale lower bolt rotted through the porcelain, leaving a hole, and they tried to get me hunting for the serial number (apparently all of the gas assists have one, not just a vent code) and told me without that they'd have to charge me.  EZ is out of warranty, FWIW.  So be prepared for that.  I'm going to try calling back to see if I can get a friendlier rep.

Good luck-let us know how you make out.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 05:54:17 PM »
Well, you guys were correct...   I called Weber today and they said my lid is of course no longer under warranty.  They also said that they didn't have the dark GREEN color left anyway, so they would have to sell me a BLACK lid for $54.  The lady helping me was very knowledgable and friendly, I just don't think there was much she could do.   In the end I'd rather keep this lid anyway as it has the original vent (code) on it.

On a side note, I got some work done to the old girl tonight, so lets look at some grill pron....  (sorry for the poor cell-phone pics)

First off was the burner.  Why did it produce a small whispy orange (not blue) flame that wanted to blow out if you looked at it the wrong way?  Well, thanks to the info on this forum, I knew how to pull it apart and what to look for.  Here's what I found.

Here's the orifice after I removed the burner.  It was "just a bit" dirty!

All cleaned up...

Then the ignitor.  Again, horribly dirty...

And cleaned up:

And the results?  SUCCESS!!  Now THAT's a blue flame!

I spent the next hour scrubbing off the crud and grime inside the grill.  After almost an entire can of Easy Off, it looks a lot better than it did.   I also drilled out the vent rivet so that the vent can be straigtened out and reassembled as a working (tight) vent instead something that spins like a roulette wheel...round and round.

The next time I get a chance, I'm going to try to fix/reinforce the charcoal grate (welder) as it is badly warped from the heat.  Also, I need to put some larger stainless bolts holding the handle on.  The little screws the previous owner used aren't going to cut it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:00:55 PM by saxart »

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 05:58:36 PM »
Congrats!

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 06:53:38 PM »
Nice job on the burner assembly!
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 08:15:51 PM »
Nice work, Sax!  It's pretty satisfying to see that big blue flame blowing out that tube, eh?
One of the charcoal people.