Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: You missed one!  (Read 6150 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
You missed one!
« on: May 18, 2013, 08:59:09 AM »
I'm surprised, "we" always do a good job of finding these gems on C/L and posting them up, but this one flew under the radar screen.   8)

Picked up my first (and LAST according to the better-half) SS Performer today.  It cost me a $100-bill which isn't bad. 

It came with the correct indirect-baskets and flip-grate...

Once I got it home, there was a surpise inside the charcoal bin!

BONUS!!!!!

This grill is REALLY dirty, and has a few minor issues, but it should clean up well...

As you can see, it's missing the 'bulkhead' name-plate that mounts just below the table top.  Just before I left the owner's house I asked if he knew where that piece was.  Without saying a word he walked over to his garbage can and pulled it out saying, "Well, it's right here, but I couldn't figure out how to put it on", so we tossed it into the truck.   ???

More updates to come...
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: You missed one!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 09:03:18 AM »
100 is pretty good for a clean and complete specimen with good bones! I can't beleive you didn't open the bin before you took it home! Congrats on the new addition to the family.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 09:47:10 AM »
That grill was put together wrong.. The nameplate is supposed to be front left by the bowl.
I think the name plate is held on with a push nut type connection. Not sure why it came off.
You might be able to find the nut at the hardware store.
Before yo uget all exicted, see if your tank is expired, new ones are around $60. You may be able to get it recerified, but the cost may not make sense.
Congrats! AJ  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 10:45:04 AM »
That grill was put together wrong.. The nameplate is supposed to be front left by the bowl.
I think the name plate is held on with a push nut type connection. Not sure why it came off.
Before yo uget all exicted, see if your tank is expired, new ones are around $60. You may be able to get it recerified, but the cost may not make sense.
Congrats! AJ  8)

Sax, were you talking about the big long panel with the weber plate? I see its missing in the pics.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »
Nice catch, Sax!  And that cover looks to be in great condition (carefully preserved in the charcoal bin, lol). 

You make a good point about the WKC 'net':  the Kettles we are willing to share show up in the Trading Post, but no one sees the ones we take home until they are in the Kettles and Accessories thread.  ;-)
One of the charcoal people.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:36:11 PM »
Congrats! AJ  8)

Sax, were you talking about the big long panel with the weber plate? I see its missing in the pics.

Only costs 10-15 to get the tank recerted here in CO.  However, my propane guy never checks mine .  He just fills it up.

BTW,  that is the good tank which has the OPD. So you should be good on getting it recerted if you have to.  Don't ask don't tell !    ::)
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
Nice looking grill! Just in case you were not aware, you can download instructions for it from Weber's web site. I can't imagine it's that hard to fit that panel on but it is possible there are other errors in assembly that make that a problem.
kettles, smokers...

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 07:18:27 PM »
Nice score!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 07:36:20 PM »
Nice catch, Sax!  And that cover looks to be in great condition (carefully preserved in the charcoal bin, lol). 

You make a good point about the WKC 'net':  the Kettles we are willing to share show up in the Trading Post, but no one sees the ones we take home until they are in the Kettles and Accessories thread.  ;-)

Nice score! Mike is correct... :) I have shared with Aman(ChadA) my interest and he has shared with me his. His to me get first dibs for him, if he doesn't find it first. Any other WKC members we can share, send a PM with your e-mail address. I have shipping options to get Kettles from point A to point B. We are all about the Modo!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 07:48:03 PM »
As my kettle buddy Bman has PMed me on several occasions, "If I'd have wanted it, I wouldn't have told you about it".  Right on. 

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 05:22:27 AM »
Fantastic Score!! Nice looking Performer.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 05:30:59 AM »
Thanks for the comment so far.  All kidding aside, this is a GREAT place to hang out an learn about these great Weber products.

Hey Jude-
I don't think the grill was put together wrong, but for some reason this guy couldn't figure out where this panel went:

Luckily I asked him about it because he was "storing" it in his garbage can!    :o

It's funny you guys commented about the tank.  I was empty, so I took it to my local place for a fill.  The kid looked at it and said, "Um...  We can't do those tanks here".  So, another 6 miles down the road and I found a place that could. Sort of....  The young lady hooked up the tank, and when she opened the valve on the fill nozzle, it popped off spraying propane everywhere.  I helped her rehook it up and we got it filled, but she didn't think it was filled all of the way, so she let me go for free!

I need to download the manual for this grill because he burner doesn't seem to be burning correctly.  It has a tall whispy orange flame and I'm guessing it should be more of a short bluish flame, correct?  Is there any way to adjust the flame on this burner?  I didn't see any movable 'damper' like you sometimes see on small gas burners.

Also, a couple more questions:

The previous owner must have broke the lid handle off, although I don't see any trama to the lid as if it was dropped or something.  His "fix" was to drill some holes and install a couple of small bolts to hold on the handle.   Would this be something Weber would stand behind by sending a new lid?

Adding insult to injury, it's apparent that he also pried up the vent by putting something under it and pulling up.

The vent now wobbles on it's rivet, and can be spun like one of those pin-wheels you stick in the grass on the 4th of July.  He must have done this early in the grill's life as there is a lot of gooey build up under the vent now.  I'm guessing the only 'repair' here would be to drill out the rivet, flatten the vent and reinstall with a bolt?

In the end, this WILL be a great grill, but it's frustrating because it's obvious this guy thought of this thing as "just a grill"....   >:(
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:51:13 AM by saxart »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 09:27:06 AM »
OK, you can try to Warranty the lid form Weber. It all depends on if they have that color and you can convince them that the handle rusted off. It does actually happen. They will ask if you are the original owner. You are right?  ;)
If they don't, you have some options. Buy SS harfware for the handle. Buy a new vent from Weber.
Just clean up the lid before yopu install. Its as you say, drill it out and replace with a nut and bolt.
I suggest if you get one from Weber, to change them to SS.
As for the propane burner, there are no adjustments to the flame. Take the hose off and clean the tube of any debris. Its a spiders haven. If after all that, you may have a bad regulator. Let us see some pics of it burning after you clean it out.

I had thought that the panel was on the back side, I didn't know it was completely off!
I thought you were just missing the little Weber logo plate.
Any other issues? Based on what I see, you have to fix the one touch as well.
If you are going to spend money, just pugrade to the newer SS H style set up.
In the end, you will have a great grill Just don't try to spend too much on the rebuild.
AJ  8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 10:38:23 AM »
I find a simple approach often works when calling Weber CS (or as a mentor of mine repeatedly told me, "Never volunteer anything!"). 

"Hi, my name is Saxart, and I own a Performer.  It has some rust on the lid, by the handle.  Am I eligible for a replacement under warranty?"

They will surely ask you to send some photos, and you can explain then that the handle got so rusty that it needed to be attached with bolts and nuts, but you have recently learned that Weber warranties lids and bowls against rust.

And yeah, like AJ said, give your burner tube assembly a good cleaning.  I posted some photos about that on another thread  (  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/what-lies-under-yonder-cover!/msg33368/#msg33368  ), and pbe gummi has a whole thread about rebuilding Performers.  Here's hoping that all you need is a thorough cleaning, and not a new regulator. 

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 11:21:32 AM »
Hey, Saxart, I just took my own advice and spent a few minutes with my 'new' SS performer.  I just want to re-affirm what AJ said about getting that burner tube nice and clean-- mine was full of dust and dirt and ash and all kinds of remains of insects.  Even with the tube removed and standing over a sink with a long piece of metal to clean it out, I *still* had trouble getting all of that junk out.  So yeah, definitely remove the tube (tip:  after removing the brass piece I mentioned before and the ignitor assembly and the clamp holding it to the bracket, pull it *toward the bowl* since the business end is pinched and will not fit through the bowl) and give it a good cleaning.  It transformed my burner from 'nada' to 'good to go'.