Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Continuing my obsession  (Read 32192 times)

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Re: Continuing my obsession
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2018, 02:20:52 PM »
Yeah  for many years I've used the roti ring to raise the cooking grate. Also used  it for smoking utilizing a snake or the SnS. If you add 1 more grate at the bottom of the ring, you can actually smoke 4 medium sized ribs laying flat. Keep in mind though that the lower grate will be anywhere between 5-15F lower while using a SnS due to the radiant heat  being reflected down from the lid and into the top grate.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2018, 03:40:30 PM »

Yeah  for many years I've used the roti ring to raise the cooking grate. Also used  it for smoking utilizing a snake or the SnS. If you add 1 more grate at the bottom of the ring, you can actually smoke 4 medium sized ribs laying flat. Keep in mind though that the lower grate will be anywhere between 5-15F lower while using a SnS due to the radiant heat  being reflected down from the lid and into the top grate.

Testing in progress. I’ve utilized parts from the wsm.  It’s holding 300 right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Continuing my obsession
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2019, 04:35:29 PM »
Oh man were these good!  I missed my obsession. I hadn’t done them for awhile.

I foil taped the openings of the roti which worked wonders. Nothing beats the sound and smell of chicken fat dripping into the coals. I basted at the end with a mix of franks butter honey and Worcestershire. These might have been my best yet.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 04:37:39 PM by HoosierKettle »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2019, 02:55:43 AM »
Well damn those look good, how much temp/smoke control did you gain with taping the holes? Good idea by the way, time to add tape to my grilling box
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Continuing my obsession
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2019, 03:43:59 AM »
Well damn those look good, how much temp/smoke control did you gain with taping the holes? Good idea by the way, time to add tape to my grilling box

The short answer is it worked well enough for the temp to be reactive to adjustments to the bottom one touch and top vent left open but not well enough to shut the grill down with both vents closed.

With a full lit chimney, I was cooking at 375 with bottom vent half and top open. Total cook time was 45 minutes and I had to turn and rotate in and out of hot spots a few times.

If I had to make a guess, I might be able to coax the temp down to 300 with this set up but not much lower.

The wsm on the top grate does a better job maintaining even heat but it inherently cooks at a lower temp and wings take quite a bit longer.

Jules set up with his stacker rings on a 22 would be the way to go for the ultimate range and control for this method I’m guessing. 

I’m headed towards a stacker set up. I need additional height and a kettle is just easier to use than a wsm for certain tasks.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:47:08 AM by HoosierKettle »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2019, 09:33:25 AM »

I'm currently trying to order a couple of custom made 14"  tall  stainless stackers.  Still waiting for the total cost so I'll  let you know when i get it.  Similar to my stackers and to the cajun bandit but should be cheaper but taller by roughly 5".
I rarely use the weber roti ring for these purposes since it's not quite airtight enough.  Too much air leakage both at the top and lower lips.  More suited for higher temperatures. 

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2019, 06:19:17 AM »
Love it! Coals spread evenly across the grate?

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2019, 06:37:57 AM »

Love it! Coals spread evenly across the grate?

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Yes. I still had the ineviteable hot spot despite my best efforts.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2019, 01:58:17 PM »
Nicely done! Here is mine done over direct fire.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2019, 02:48:58 PM »
Nice greenweb. Direct does something magical to the flavor and texture of chicken imo.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2019, 01:29:55 PM »
Tried doing wings “Hoosier-style” on the top rack of a WSM over lump.  The family definitely preferred wings this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2019, 04:29:24 PM »

Tried doing wings “Hoosier-style” on the top rack of a WSM over lump.  The family definitely preferred wings this way.

They look perfect!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Continuing my obsession
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2019, 05:40:59 AM »
I made wings twice since Sunday.  I brought them to a super bowl party and received great praise but my wife and I only got a couple before they were gone so we decided to make them again last night.

Only change up I’ve done the last few times is I mop the sauce on while the wings are on the grate then flip and sauce and cook 5 or ten. It seems to really help the wings retain their crispiness instead of a full dunk.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 06:36:59 AM by HoosierKettle »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2019, 10:15:42 AM »
Another win for Hoosier-style wings.  Brined for 36 hours, dried on a wire rack, applied a local chicken kabob seasoning, and cooked on the top rack of a WSM over RO lump for 30 minutes per side. 

Super tasty!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Continuing my obsession
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2019, 01:16:04 PM »
Looks fantastic!  I haven’t entered the world of brining yet. I will give that a try. Is it for juiciness or flavor or tender or all of the above?

I wish I had a 22 wsm or a stacker. I need that grate size and distance from the coals. The modified roti ring has the size but not the distance. The 18 wsm is the opposite.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:20:47 PM by HoosierKettle »