Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Continuing my obsession  (Read 32370 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Continuing my obsession
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2018, 05:49:26 PM »
58 wings. Later, half were sauced with sriracha honey and half franks and butter. The family says this is their absolute favorite way that I make wings. The cooking method not the sauces.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2018, 10:36:52 PM »
I too have been rolling with no water pan for quite some time. I really like it.

Did lollipop legs tonight on the 18WSM.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2018, 04:50:17 AM »
Those look great mike!  I’ve made them once. They take some time.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2018, 07:01:42 AM »
Even though i always had a weber kettle for more than 25 years, it ttook me a very long time to warm up to it because of the close proximity of the charcoal and cooking grate.  I came from a grilling background in which the cooking grate that was  usually between 10"-30" above the heat source utilizing a combination of coal and wood. Only got hooked to the kettle 2 years ago after i started using a stacker to raise the cooking grate. A majority of my cooks are direct over coals as you've been doing.  The flavor profile is distinctly different and more flavorful compare to strictly indirect cooking.  Going forward all my rotisserie cooks will probably utilize full or partial direct over coals now that i  have the option of having the spit at 14" or 23" above the charcoal grate. Made a chicken rotisserie the other day and it was the tastiest and juiciest that I've ever done.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Continuing my obsession
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2018, 07:39:37 AM »
The flavor profile is distinctly different and more flavorful compare to strictly indirect cooking.

Chicken especially. The texture of the meat and the skin is spectacular. Very tender fall off the bone meat with slightly crisp bite through skin.  It’s my favorite for whole or half chickens as well.

I need to drill my roti ring to hold a grate to make a stacker.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:48:41 AM by HoosierKettle »

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2018, 08:51:02 AM »
Those ribs look great!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Continuing my obsession
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2018, 03:38:02 PM »
Doing a couple birds cut in half on a beautiful night in Indiana. It’s been awhile since I’ve used this wsm. My favorite way to do chicken. Just started awhile ago so we will be eating at 930 lol. More pics later.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 04:10:25 PM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2018, 04:34:15 PM »
1 hour.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2018, 04:54:43 PM »
Nothing like cooking direct over coals. That's the same method i use for the  majority of my wings these days.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Continuing my obsession
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »
I agree!  I’ve been planning on drilling my roti ring to raise my grate height on a 22 for chicken mainly. Is that a single stack?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2018, 04:55:04 AM »
I think I'm going direct tonight with my wings, it's actually a fun cook that way as well more hands on, giving a feeling of accomplishment
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Continuing my obsession
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2018, 12:28:35 PM »
I agree!  I’ve been planning on drilling my roti ring to raise my grate height on a 22 for chicken mainly. Is that a single stack?
Those wings were cooked with 2 stackers. Charcoal grate to cooking grate is 23" apart. I use both stackers when i want a single zone and still able to use a charcoal basket, a 14" diameter and 3" high. At the height,  it allows the heat to disperse evenly throughout the cooking grate. Temperature is within 20 degrees from center to the edge of the cooking grate. Those wings got done all at the same time without turning or moving them around. 

Just got done cooking these wings using a single stacker along with a  14" diameter charcoal rail.   Charcoal to cooking grate is 14". Temperature around the center of the cooking grate was 500F and were done in less than 30 minutes, internal temp of 198-200F.
Can't get those results in terms of speed or flavor profile utilizing a vortex in a conventional manner.

The 14" charcoal ring allows for the charcoal to be spread out evenly and still have a slightly lower temperature around the perimeter.

If you want to use your rotisserie as a stacker, all you have to do is add 3 nuts and bolts. Install the 3 bolts at the same height as the motor mount.  Below is the motor mount. The grate will sit on top it along with the 3 bolts that you'll add.
3 nuts and bolts at the same height of the motor mount.

Your distance from charcoal to cooking grate will be 12". The standard kettle charcoal to cooking grate distance is 5".
Also if you want better temperature control using the lid vents or by cracking it slightly, cover the spit rod holes by folding a piece of foil over the lip of the roti ring. The cooking grate will hold it place.

If you want 2 zones  or want to smoke while using the stacker, just use your sns.  Below is what i typically use for 2 zone.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 12:34:22 PM by Jules V. »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2018, 12:55:03 PM »
@JEBIV I look forward to seeing pics!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2018, 12:58:46 PM »
Thanks for the info Jules!  Is that what you started using before your current stackers?  Looking forward to messing around with this. The 18 wsm does great but i have been thinking for a long time that it would be nice to use a 22 kettle in similar fashion.

I’m surprised I don’t see more people using their roti this way.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Continuing my obsession
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2018, 01:38:55 PM »
That was easy [emoji3]. Not sure why I waited so long. Time for a test tonight.