Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally Complete  (Read 2474 times)

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Finally Complete
« on: March 14, 2018, 08:23:44 AM »
I started this drum project many moons ago but was bogged down at home and work.   Anyway, here she is!

I used an 85 gallon drum, Weber lid, welded intake, a guru port, a Hunsucker charcoal basket, and 2 stainless grates.  Got the whole thing powdercoated with high temp BBQ black.  Oh, and a hot water heater catch pan for ashes in the bottom.

Ran it in manual on Friday.  Just a chub of JC Potter to season.

Ran it with the Guru on Sunday.  Cooked a couple chickens but forgot pics.

Tossed in a small flank steak for dinner on Monday.

I've built and run drums for myself and family and friends for about 13 years and I'm here to tell you, the Hunsucker charcoal basket is no joke!  I did a biscuit test (knowing I couldn't tune anything), all biscuit bottoms were identical in color.  No hot spots that I could detect. 

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Finally Complete
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 04:05:20 PM »
Looking good. Is the top hinged? Is this a 26" uds?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 03:45:53 AM »
Dude! This is Awesome!
Welcome to the 85 Club!

The Hunsaker Vortex Firebasket is the real deal!

I’m also using one in my 85 and it’s such a joy to cook on.

I’ve got the flat lid and a 26.75” lid with an Unknown BBQ hinge and an inner heat shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 06:06:22 AM »
@pbe gummi bear , The top is hinged with an Unknown BBQ hinge.  This is a 26" UDS.  I'm slightly nervous about the hinge though.  I've had two people try to pull it shut while locked up on the hinge.  Both put it out of round.  I wouldn't care but my wife plans on using it.  She will forget and pull it. :-\

Dude! This is Awesome!
Welcome to the 85 Club!

I’ve got the flat lid and a 26.75” lid with an Unknown BBQ hinge and an inner heat shield.

I didn't get the inner heat shield but that Hunsucker basket is legit!  I figured with the solid sides, I wouldn't need the heat shield.  Is there an advantage? 

Thanks,
Jim

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 02:22:09 PM »

@pbe gummi bear , The top is hinged with an Unknown BBQ hinge.  This is a 26" UDS.  I'm slightly nervous about the hinge though.  I've had two people try to pull it shut while locked up on the hinge.  Both put it out of round.  I wouldn't care but my wife plans on using it.  She will forget and pull it. :-\

Dude! This is Awesome!
Welcome to the 85 Club!

I didn't get the inner heat shield but that Hunsucker basket is legit!  I figured with the solid sides, I wouldn't need the heat shield.  Is there an advantage? 

Thanks,
Jim

Well the theory is that the heat shield forces the heat upwards and helps protect the paint or powder coat. I’ve used the basket without the heat shield in the 85 and it took longer to get up to temp and it struggled to cook hotter. With it in place it’s a rocket that needs minimal intake.
We compete with 2 HS’s and I use basket in a Gateway clone and a BPS. Built 3 and in the process of another as we speak. Best drums on the market!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 04:14:19 AM »
I'm pretty happy with it so far as far as temp control goes.  This is the first drum I've played with that will run at high temps without having to use a guru to stoke the fire.  I can get it up to(and over) 325° with the intake just cracked. 

I love this drum! 

Perhaps a heat shield will be added in the future, right now I'm going to play with it.

PorkinButts82

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 04:58:47 PM »
Jim, that's a sweet 85er you got man! Well done. Looks like a rock solid setup and yes that hunsaker basket is the real deal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PorkinButts82

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 05:02:20 PM »
I also have a drum, just a 55er though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk