Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Construction help PLEASE!  (Read 2140 times)

Pyromaniac Spouse

• Happy Cooker
Construction help PLEASE!
« on: March 08, 2018, 10:35:24 AM »
SO GLAD I found this site!!!   There are so many pictures of built in Weber charcoal kettles, but never enough detail on actual materials and construction.  My BBQ-King-Other-Half (hence the ‘pyro’ name) has 2 charcoal kettles (and one for parts).  I want to make a brick, built in barbecue haven (heaven) for him for his birthday.  But the actual logistics are tricky to explain to builders... I want to sink 2 charcoal kettles into a work surface, with loads of counter space on either side, and enough storage underneath for the rotisserie rim, and all the assorted bbq ‘toys’ (of which there are loads!).  In the ‘old days’ the kettles had two handles, and they sat on an insert in a wooden cart.  It worked a treat.  But now...there is only one handle and the rim around the back to hold the lid.  I will have a brick wall behind the 2 bbq’s and storage drawers/cupboards, and ideally, I’d like to have the front covered when not in use (we live in England, so the weather is not often ‘cooperative’ although ‘Mr Pyro’ will cook in anything but a driving rain!). Instead of wood, the whole unit will be in brick - or brick faced.  But the only pix on pinterest show ugly stainless steel gas bbqs.  HELP!  How much ventilation do I need for front and back? How do I have the builders attach the kettle to the surface?  And what is the best surface to use?  C’mon guys... I’m looking for nirvana here.... Which is easy in drawings and not so easy in construction... HELP?????

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Construction help PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 05:06:54 PM »
Wow, super cool of you to plan something like that for his birthday!
Lots of interesting questions. I've been trying to think up something similar.
One idea I'd consider is just building an island, with all the counter space and storage you'd need. Something that the kettles can go on either side of. I like the look and function of the kettle itself, so I wouldn't want to hide the view (so to speak).
I realize that's not exactly like the vision you were describing, and there are some good examples of guys here who have made some really great looking built in tables, @shoestringshop comes to mind.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 06:30:15 PM »
Wow so many idea just ran through my crainium

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Pyromaniac Spouse

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 05:08:33 AM »
Thanks!  Once I get some drawings that don't look like a 6 yr old, I'll post it, and maybe that will help... Just not sure how to secure the rim of the kettle to a countertop...And I assume it needs some space all around due to the heat.... hmmmmm.

Jazzbert

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 06:36:51 AM »
In case it would be useful, here is a link to some images of grilling stations I have collected on Pinterest: https://pin.it/pdzkdcgwp7mjoe

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 07:31:18 AM »
I've been toying with a built-in for years.  I ran across these a while ago.  Looks like a nice installation method.  Easy to change grills as well.

https://tn-sd.com/product/kettle-grill-mounts/

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 02:25:12 AM »
This is the one I built.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Pyromaniac Spouse

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 01:30:53 AM »
Thank you everyone!  Meeting with builder today... some fabulous ideas!  More to follow.... :-))