Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is “vegan” a curse word around here?  (Read 4337 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Is “vegan” a curse word around here?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »
Hey Larry, why not fresh jalapeños? I have a strong religious objection to pickled jalapeños.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2018, 01:07:57 PM »
The fresh ones don't mix the heat through the dough as well as the canned ones. Plus they stayed kind of ripe green and crunchy, similar to that bright green stuff my aunt used to bring to potlucks. I think it was some type of Jell-O. But nobody ate it. I think if you grind them up it would be great
26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2018, 01:10:09 PM »
Also, I'm saving a lot of dough ! $. I figure if I eat enough canned food, they won't have to embalm me when I die!
26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 06:03:43 PM »

Hey @Jed.cook

I finally got time to post my recipe. Made this last night:

Wallymart Jalapeno Cheese Bread

1  Walmart frozen white bread. See picture.

6oz or about ½ cup small can sliced Jalapenos. Any kind you like, but don’t use fresh.
6oz or about ¾ cup small chunk sharp cheddar (3/4 small brick)
Couple pinches garlic or other spice you think will go good with the above. I just use salt.

Cover the frozen loaf with a little oil by putting it in a plastic bag and squishing it around some. Let it sit out or in the icebox till it’s slightly stiff but still cold. If you are wondering how that feels, go ask your local librarian if you can hold her hand.

Drain Jalapeno as dry as Granny on a Sunday morning, chop cheese into half inch chunks and slice dough into ½ inch slices and mix it all up gently. Leave it all chunky. The way I do that is to slice it all separate and then lay it down in layers in the bag so it’s evenly mixed but the dough’s not all bend out of shape. See picture.

Close the bag over the loaf loosely and leave it out to get about as big as large cantaloupe. Too small and it will be flat and tough. Too big and it will be dry. See picture for size. If you’re wondering about how much salt and spice, put as much all around the outside of the loaf as you would a steak before you eat it. If you don’t eat steak, just pretend you do.

Get your Weber to 425 degrees any way you know how so the coal surround the Dutch oven but not touch it. Sort of like how the police surrounded cousin Stubbs that time he got crazy. Don’t see picture. Grease up your Dutch oven or cast iron frying pan better than your Daddy’s hair when he’s was a going courting, then put it in there to heat up for about 10 minutes. Not your Daddy, but the pan and lid. When it’s hot, throw a goodly mount of uncooked grits or cornmeal into the bottom and drop the dough in as quick as you can but gently and put the lid on quick. Remember when you dropped home that ugly girl you took to the dance that time? Like that.

Now quickly put the lid on your Weber and leave it alone for 20 minutes or about as long as one episode of Mama’s Family- minus commercials. Now take the lids off and give it a quick look.  It should look very light brown. Leave the lid off the Dutch oven now, put the Weber lid back on and cook till it’s golden brown and springs back quickly when touched.

Dump it out on a rack of some type and try and let it cool down before you eat it. I find it’s best to have your favorite liquid diversionary ready order to redirect your mind elsewhere during such tempting times. When it’s just cool, slice it in wedges like a pizza.

Oh man, you had me at Jalapeño!!! I’m trying this ASAP, thanks!

-Jed
-Jed

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2018, 07:07:06 PM »
Good to hear. Took it to work today. Gone in minutes.

Missbbq

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2018, 10:50:35 PM »
What a great options!! I love the squash on the grill. Going to give that a try soon.
I don't have problems thinking up recipes for vegetarians, but vegan is a whole different ball game. There are some many animals bases products. And I almost use them all in my cooking.

Once or twice a week I only eat plants based food. Just to keep my body fit and healthy. And to learn my too boys that vegetables are not some strange things. And I'm blessed, I know, they eat about everything!

So for my it's not a curse word, but it's a challenge and a world I don't know that much about.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5010 met Tapatalk

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2018, 08:21:50 AM »
My niece is a vegan. I just point her to the lawn when she comes over... start grazing. I can work with carnivores, omnivores,  piscatarians, vegetarians even.I don't and won't do vegan.
If the situation ever arises you could grill some vegetables and portobello burgers. There is even vegan cheese if you want to top the burgers with cheese or make a vegan lasagna (which is a veggie lasagna but with vegan cheese).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Nope! She won't eat food off the grill because at some point the grate touched meat.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2018, 06:54:00 AM »
My niece is a vegan. I just point her to the lawn when she comes over... start grazing. I can work with carnivores, omnivores,  piscatarians, vegetarians even.I don't and won't do vegan.
If the situation ever arises you could grill some vegetables and portobello burgers. There is even vegan cheese if you want to top the burgers with cheese or make a vegan lasagna (which is a veggie lasagna but with vegan cheese).

Nope! She won't eat food off the grill because at some point the grate touched meat.

What about forks and knives? Plates? They all touched meat at some point.

Sent from my Jeezus R U Kidding Me iPhone
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2018, 10:33:50 AM »
Yeah, but those get cleaned in a dishwasher.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2018, 02:46:57 PM »

Ah true that...I guess you could just make a foil pan to grill stuff for her then, or any other pan if she's okay with it having been washed.
Together we'll fight the long defeat.