Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is “vegan” a curse word around here?  (Read 4338 times)

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
Is “vegan” a curse word around here?
« on: March 04, 2018, 02:10:34 PM »
‘Cause to me, it pretty much is. And not just because of the lack of meat. I mean, no cheese? Seriously? My heart goes out to those poor souls who have contracted “veganism” through no fault of their own. To those who chose that lifestyle, just know I’m trying to sympathize with you. I truly am.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago my aunt & uncle stopped by for dinner. They come over every couple of months, and yes, they are...the “v” word. So when we heard they were coming, my wife began her usual routine of scrambling around, flying through all her favorite cook books, trying to find a descent vegetable side dish she could turn into a main course. I threw out the idea of doing something on the kettle, and we adapted a recipe together to get what you see below. Basically “stuffed & smoked spaghetti squash.” (Bonus points for unintentional alliteration!)

There’s no doubt, I would have preferred this as a side to a big ribeye, roast chicken, hell, even a salmon filet. But I guess a meat-free meal every couple of months won’t kill me, right?

-Jed
-Jed

MauroBBQ

• WKC Brave
    • Mauro's BBQ
Re: Is “vegan” a curse word around here?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 02:32:55 PM »
Hmmmm
Is the squash consistency a bit stringy?
The actually look pretty good
How did they taste?

Also seems you left the kettle top open with some separators
What are these called and where can I get me some?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
22" Performer - SJG:N code - GA: P code - Weber Q 1000 - Weber Q 2000 - WSM 22"
Youtube page: Mauro's BBQ
email: maurobbq73@gmail.com

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 03:16:51 PM »
I actually think that the hardest thing about being vegan would be eggs. Eggs are used in so many things as a binder, so not eating eggs would be nearly impossible if you ask me.

My brother is vegan and when he came for dinner, I grilled up a ton of veggies in aluminum pans and they all turned out amazing. The best were the Brussels sprouts, if you don’t like them, try grilling them and it will change your mind.

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 03:18:51 PM »
I’m a vagaterian 🤪

Bigmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 04:03:42 PM »
‘Cause to me, it pretty much is. And not just because of the lack of meat. I mean, no cheese? Seriously? My heart goes out to those poor souls who have contracted “veganism” through no fault of their own. To those who chose that lifestyle, just know I’m trying to sympathize with you. I truly am.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago my aunt & uncle stopped by for dinner. They come over every couple of months, and yes, they are...the “v” word. So when we heard they were coming, my wife began her usual routine of scrambling around, flying through all her favorite cook books, trying to find a descent vegetable side dish she could turn into a main course. I threw out the idea of doing something on the kettle, and we adapted a recipe together to get what you see below. Basically “stuffed & smoked spaghetti squash.” (Bonus points for unintentional alliteration!)

There’s no doubt, I would have preferred this as a side to a big ribeye, roast chicken, hell, even a salmon filet. But I guess a meat-free meal every couple of months won’t kill me, right?

Yeah it might not kill you but why take a chance!

-Jed

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 04:27:27 PM »
@MauroBBQ spaghetti squash is more of a strand than a string, we make spaghetti with it every now and then. And his spacers are plywood clips, yes they are galvanized and NO he won't die.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 04:28:48 PM »
@Jed.cook , what did you "stuff" the spaghetti bowls with? Looks awesome.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 05:47:11 PM »
Looks tasty! Is that large patio paver supposed to be for radiating heat?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 06:32:38 PM »
Okay, so I write a post, then step away to cook dinner (a chicken “kettle-fried” steak DISASTER, BTW, that I’ll be writing a separate post about sometime in the future) and when I finally look at my phone, I’ve got several questions/comments that need to be addressed. Here we go:

Hmmmm
Is the squash consistency a bit stringy?
The actually look pretty good
How did they taste?

Also seems you left the kettle top open with some separators
What are these called and where can I get me some?

Kinda’ stringy? Yes, but that’s what you’re shooting for. You scrape the inside “meat” of the squash off (think pumpkin carving, only delicious instead of annoying) and it has a kind of pasta consistency. Hence, the name. If you’ve never tried it, it’s worth a shot, Weber-grilled or not.

As @varekai mentioned earlier, those separators are just plywood clips, as seen in this post here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=34964
It’s worth reading if for no other reason than the emotional rollercoaster that ensues, and @varekai’s beautiful moment of mediation. ;)

I’m a vagaterian 🤪

Hilarious! But aren’t we all?

@Jed.cook , what did you "stuff" the spaghetti bowls with? Looks awesome.

So I have a pic of the original recipe that my wife snapped, but I don’t see the little mountain “insert pic” button right now, so I’ll try to figure that out in a separate reply below.

Looks tasty! Is that large patio paver supposed to be for radiating heat?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Yep. Supposedly. I’ve seen other people on this forum do it who are FAR more skilled than I am, and I had one layin’ around (at Lowe’s for $.98) so I figured, “What the hell, giver ‘er a shot.”

-Jed
-Jed

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 06:40:30 PM »
So I can’t figure out how to post a pic here, for some bizarre reason. I’ve done it before, obviously. But now the little mountain icon has completely vanished. So here’s the link to where I saved my wife’s pic of the original “Loaded Spaghetti Squash” recipe. Not sure if it’ll show up, but it’s in my Google Drive “Reicpes” folder under “Sides,” and I just want all vegans to know that it’s placed there intentionally. ;)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BsJiaIWMmsopWBwzQHnnfHSHS80TdGqh

-Jed
-Jed

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 06:54:20 PM »
Next time, you can add bread to your menu . It keeps, so you can BBQ it ahead of time . Bread on the Web is awesome. I will post a recipe soon.
26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 07:17:13 PM »
We don't do much dairy in the house (I don't do any) and have really cut back on the meat quite a bit (as compared to a few years ago). I never really cooked vegan until we started hosting dinners for some vegan friends a few years back.

Cooking with a set of parameters like no meat no dairy really challenges you as a cook. You also get a greater appreciation for ingredients that can stand-in for meat. Tempeh, seitan, tofu are obvious choices, but many different mushrooms can be substituted for various meats quite easily.

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 08:02:55 PM »

Next time, you can add bread to your menu . It keeps, so you can BBQ it ahead of time . Bread on the Web is awesome. I will post a recipe soon.

Good call! I’ve been wanting to try some bread in the kettle. Look forward to your recipe.

-Jed
-Jed

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 08:41:24 PM »
In Australia we cook damper , it’s quick cheap and super easy just chuck it straight on the coals . U can add anything u like from cheese and bacon or just a big dob of good butter

bigmac53

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 03:10:00 AM »
My family loves spaghetti squash; I've never tried it on the grill but I can imagine it came out great! What did you stuff it with?