Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First pizza cook on my Weber  (Read 2214 times)

auto180sx

• Smokey Joe
First pizza cook on my Weber
« on: February 20, 2018, 05:17:47 PM »
First cook, no accessories.

No picture of the set up but I used two charcoal baskets at 90°, followed by a cast iron pan flipped upside down and the pizza stone on top. I placed the charcoal baskets at the opposite end of the grill.

First thoughts: the stone heated up for a half hour and was still to cold. The thermometer on the kettle only got to 550° and I feel like it needs to get much hotter then that.

Flavor: same as oven but this is a bit more convenient oddly. I didn't heat the rest of the house up.

I'll get a picture of the cooled set up tomorrow.

Looking for suggestions.

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:22:35 PM by auto180sx »

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: First pizza cook on my Weber
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 06:45:26 AM »
@auto180sx , Looks good from here. sounds as though your set up was good, personally the 1 time I tried baskets I didn't care for the results. I just pile. Another thing, once my coals do get going, I start adding pieces of oak. Now I have a small woodworking shop in my garage so I always have oak cut-offs laying around, So go down to your local home depot or whatever you have, and buy just 1 oak board, like you would build a cabinet with, cut it into 8" pieces and add that to your fire, ramps up the temp and will add some flavor. Here are some of my pics. Good Luck!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/varekai/albums/72157669475074430
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 09:34:05 AM »
Looks yummy!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

auto180sx

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 07:05:12 AM »
@varekai , what do you set your pizza stone on top of and how many chimneys of charcoal do you use for a typical cook?

Thanks @Firemunkee !

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 02:28:13 PM »
@auto180sx , i used a couple old burners from a camp stove I had, but in the picture i used an aluminum pan, but as I read your question, I came up with an even better idea.. I'll post back as soon as I get one made.  As for coals, Maybe just 1 chimney, dumped in a pile at the "back"... when they got going good, I start adding pieces of oak to really stoke it up.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.