Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber table ideas?  (Read 5202 times)

Cduhejr

• Happy Cooker
Weber table ideas?
« on: February 13, 2018, 06:18:02 AM »
I would Like to build a table to put my weber master touch into and to have some work space. I’d like it to be on wheels. Any ideas or specs?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Weber table ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 06:51:44 AM »
Just a thought but I think it would be nice to keep the table separate and have it on casters to roll up to the grill. That way they can operate separately or together.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cduhejr

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 07:09:41 AM »
Also considering that option. Thanks!

gchenworth

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 10:34:51 AM »
Before Thanksgiving I started building one but spent the better part of a month searching around the web for ideas  I posted what I've done at http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-grill-modifications-customs/grill-table-for-weber-kettle/

I started with a google search DIY grill table and a bunch of variations from that... most brought back the same results.  Many of the ones I liked best were built for BGE's but it helped me fine tune what I'd want and how to approach the build.  I liked some of the wood tops but was concerned about keeping up with care and wanted a surface for food prep so that might limit wood finish options.  I really liked the look of this tiled top but then started thinking about keeping grout clean and possible wet freezes damaging grout or tiles. https://www.instructables.com/id/Weber-BBQ-Table/

I ultimately used this table designed for BGE for frame construction and some ideas about concrete top... https://thelowcountrylady.blogspot.com/2016/03/big-green-egg-concrete-top-table-plans.html

Found tons of ideas on pinterest searching DIY grill table including a long table with sink on one end and grill on the other.  Those really helped me formulate what I'd want and for me, I wanted a sink then space for food prep, then the grill and at the end space to plate the stuff coming off the grill.  I also fell in love with some designs incorporating a roof to protect from rain but my wife nixed that idea.  Don't know why but since she caved on nixing the overall idea I said sure...

If was a fun project that won't be completed until Spring when I can finish the wood and complete hardware additions for pulls, towel racks, etc.  Good luck!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 04:57:45 PM »
Check out the Naked Whiz Table Galleries

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 07:57:01 PM »
I have opted for a mobile cart, rather than a stationary table. I now have the cart and will begin working on the project soon.

dschoen0

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 07:38:44 AM »
I just bought a 26" kettle and love it.  My only complaint was...No table...so I am in the process of completing a table to make it movable.  I thought of supporting the kettle using the handles, but decided to weld mounting posts on the cart in such a way to utilize the legs already on the kettle.  For the TOP, granite looked nice but was much heavier than I wanted for a movable table/cart, so I used 1/2" corian-type material that I found at a surplus store.  The handle of the kettle is in a pocket that I routed out of the underlayment of the table.  I left a pretty good gap between the edge of the kettle and table (that I need to finish up) because I was worried about excessive heat, but after using multiple times, the heat is much lower out on that lip than I had anticipated.  I still have to put expanded metal on the bottom for charcoal storage, etc., etc. 
Now, I ran across a rotisserie that I want to build a ring to hold in on the kettle.....so too many other projects... ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 09:34:25 AM »
I just bought a 26" kettle and love it.  My only complaint was...No table...so I am in the process of completing a table to make it movable.  I thought of supporting the kettle using the handles, but decided to weld mounting posts on the cart in such a way to utilize the legs already on the kettle.  For the TOP, granite looked nice but was much heavier than I wanted for a movable table/cart, so I used 1/2" corian-type material that I found at a surplus store.  The handle of the kettle is in a pocket that I routed out of the underlayment of the table.  I left a pretty good gap between the edge of the kettle and table (that I need to finish up) because I was worried about excessive heat, but after using multiple times, the heat is much lower out on that lip than I had anticipated.  I still have to put expanded metal on the bottom for charcoal storage, etc., etc. 
Now, I ran across a rotisserie that I want to build a ring to hold in on the kettle.....so too many other projects... ;)

This is very cool!!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 04:04:05 PM »
That is nice work.

dschoen0

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 05:52:03 PM »
Thanks folks!  Still much to do, also want to sand and paint the wheels and add sides and doors on front.

Cduhejr - One lesson I learned is the placement of the wheels !!  I originally had the wheels set at the end of the frame, but after adding the underlayment and table, that made the cart/table nose-heavy and it was too hard to  wheel around.  So I changed the wheel position so they are more underneath the kettle, thus changing the center of gravity.  Now it's very easy to roll around....to get out of the rain or wind or go out in the sun...
I also raised my kettle just a little on the cart/table...to suit my tastes.
Hope any of this helps !!!

Vinnybaggadonuts

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 02:44:37 PM »
I’m not blinking goin this route, and of course customizing the crap out of it!!!!

Vinny

[attachment deleted by admin]

Vinnybaggadonuts

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 04:41:10 PM »

I’m not blinking goin this route, and of course customizing the crap out of it!!!!

Vinny

Ok, that SHOULD read “I’m thinking of going this route...”

Vinny

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 07:21:08 AM »
I use a folding table from Costco next to the kettles. Works grate, cheap, no muss, no fuss. No clip-ons, just a stand alone table. Lots of work area.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 03:55:30 PM »
I put a board on top of my 18" for when I cook with the 22" and visa versa. I would think you could make a nice board that would capture the lip of the 18" and the 22 with the same board by routing a groove in the bottom of it. That way it would be secure. You could also use screws and brackets to do the same thing.
26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 05:47:57 AM »
I would think you could make a nice board that would capture the lip of the 18" and the 22 with the same board by routing a groove in the bottom of it. That way it would be secure. You could also use screws and brackets to do the same thing.

@Uncle Al did something very similar to that.
Of course, he's got lots of neat tools and machinery to get it done.  :D

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/diy-kettle-work-tops/

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.