Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pulled beef advice  (Read 2485 times)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
Pulled beef advice
« on: January 24, 2018, 08:46:09 AM »
Now that I have mastered pulled pork slightly, my wife wants me to try to do some pulled beef.  I am just curious as to what you guys do for that, ie which type of roast, cook time, wood used for the smoking, etc.  I am thinking chuck roast, but am open to any and every suggestion!  thanks in advance

Trent

• Smokey Joe
Re: Pulled beef advice
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 01:17:39 PM »
I use chuck for smaller amounts, but normally will by a 13 lbs round. The cook with a 4 lb chuck usually takes me about 6 hours at 250 ish. 6 lb round usually takes me a couple hours longer

Sent from my SM-G930P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 02:04:23 PM »
I use chuck roasts which are usually around 3 ponds.  I also cook 250-275.  Definitely go by probe tenderness to know when it’s done.  Chuckies can be stubborn.   It usually takes getting it to 205-210 internal. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 02:24:54 PM »
If you use the search bar, there are a few post on the subject. Here’s one of my favorite.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/day-late-st-paddy's-day-pepper-stout-beef/msg151158/#msg151158

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 05:47:16 PM »
I use chuck roasts which are usually around 3 ponds.  I also cook 250-275.  Definitely go by probe tenderness to know when it’s done.  Chuckies can be stubborn.   It usually takes getting it to 205-210 internal. 

This is right...In my opinion...

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 10:33:50 PM »

This is right...In my opinion...

These two gentleman are right and I will just add some more comments. I usually need to cook mine closer to the 210 internal degrees to get them to give up and pull like a pork butt.

I usually do mine on the Ranch Kettle and they come out great.

Hard to beat pulled beef done with chuck roasts.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 03:40:28 AM »
Great advice guys!  I will try maybe a couple of chuck roasts the first time.  I would never have thought it needed to be that high of an internal temp. I will also poke around and use the search function! 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 03:43:45 AM »
These guys are right. My first one only went 5 hours and it wasn’t ready to be pulled. If I remember correctly the meat was 4-5 lbs. don’t rush it and you’ll be fine.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 04:23:54 AM »
What was said here pretty much covers it. When you search make sure you also search for "pepper stout beef" and "psb". Here was my first experience making it. I had to take it to 210 before it was pullable. Looking to seeing how your first run goes :)

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/my-first-psb/msg338497/#msg338497
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 05:23:37 AM »
I agree. Chuckies. Cook 'em @ 250-275 until probe tender. I like to pan them at about 4 hours in, once you have a good bark. Save that juice, defat, and mix back in when you are pulling. Freekin' yummo.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 05:25:59 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 05:42:46 AM »
@hawgheaven I'll try that for the next one.  Aluminum foil pan?
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 06:57:13 AM »

Yes. That's all I use... easy peasy clean up... just toss it!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 08:59:33 AM »

So cook it over the pan to collect some good grease, then switch it to the same pan?

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 09:02:08 AM »
Yeah, I will definitely let her go longer than I think I need to!  I saw a video where the guy said he doesn't even temp it.  He just pulls it when he can stick a fork in and twist it, and it spins like he is twirling spaghetti.  I am so anal, I may do that, but will still use a temp probe too1 :)

I think I may use some pecan for mine, and just my all purpose rub with @CatskillSmoker's maple sugar in it.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 09:08:12 AM »

So cook it over the pan to collect some good grease, then switch it to the same pan?

I get a good bark on the grates, then just place the roast in a foil pan and let it roll the rest of the way. Believe me, you won't be disappointed.  8) Depending on temps, sometimes I'll foil to move things along.