Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old Custom Dual OTP pictures  (Read 7728 times)

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Old Custom Dual OTP pictures
« on: December 27, 2017, 04:59:22 PM »
So a little history on my dream grill.

One night of drinking with @ctwhyme and we where looking at the "One Touch Platinum" and saying what our grill would look like if we could build our perfect charcoal grill. We kind of sketched out a rough drawing with paper and  pencil and that was it done! ctwhyme then went home.

Next day comes and I have a detailed drawing of the "Custom One Touch Platinum Dual"  and show it to ctwhyme. He says "What type of top?" I respond "Granite what else  ;D?"

So I wanted to use two of the One -Touch Platinum grills with the same color, stainless steal washers, bolts, and acorn nuts on every part I could. I also wanted to have it look like something "Weber" would build if they did a double charcoal grill. I wanted a lot, but money talks and we know what walks... oh ya it must have a spot to keep my BEER COLD!

Found two "One-Touch Platinum" grills with broken tables and the lids needed work. I was able to get both of them for $30.00. mean time my neighbor got the "Weber Bug" and bought a used Performer SS but his handle was bad called weber and they shipped him one. He was ready to toss out the lid and I told him NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Ill take it. He then bought another and sold it but not before he let me swap lids with another black grill I had. - 2 grills $30.00 (GRILLS Taken care of)

I need a frame.... Take the two and get them welded? Nope! What galvanized steal can I use the same or close to in diameter? Maybe get the top of a chain link fence and bend to make it solid instead of welding together the two weber frames? Hell yes! Make a shelf for my kettlepizza? Yep! I needed to buy 6 of them at $8.00 each $48.00 .  - (Frame material taken care of)

Cut to fit... Used a SAWZALL Reciprocating Saw to cut and a High Speed Steel Step Drill Bit to cut the holes in the pipe to fit nice and tight. Labor $0.00 (Me and my Son) Thanks kid!

Now for welding  :o! I have one but am shit using it! So need to get that done had called a few places and to small of jobs for them :(>:(. Next place I drove it over to them and explained it to the what it was and I really want/need this done! The guy took pity on me and had it in a few days for $100.00 dollars - (Frame welded up)

Now paint, Had a auto body shop tell me $100.00 he could do it Prime, Paint, and Clear Coat! buy the time I went to get it to him they had shut down >:(. So I bought 4 Cans of Rust-Oleum Self-Etching Primer $4.77,4 cans of Rust-Oleum Engine Enamel, Gloss Black $3.61, and 3 Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear Spray Paint $3.76 So to paint it myself I spent $45.00 - (Painted frame and ready to start assembling)

Cleaning supplies for the grill 5 bottles of Mean Green Super Strength Multi-Purpose cleaner $1.00 each, #0000 steel wool 1 pack $3.75, razor blades $0.00 so to clean spent $8.75 - (Grills Cleaned)

Now some upgrades 2 "Weber Original Gourmet BBQ System 22-Inch Hinged Grilling Grate ", 2 "Plated-Steel Charcoal Grate" 2 "Weber 2015 Lid Bale", Custom Handles, bale rollers, vent tabs, and Wood walls for tires from @zavod44. I'm not stupid enough to put down what I paid for that stuff... yes I am about 140.00 with some help from some WKC members. Thanks Guys! You know who you are!!! ;)

Now the cherry on top of the grill... The Granite Counter Top! I went all out on this and dropped $250.00 ::). I picked it up today and installed!!! ;DGranite $250.00 - Pickup and Install Labor $0.00 (Me and my Son) Thanks again kid!

So I now have my dream "Custom One Touch Platinum Dual" and it only cost just over $600.00 and about 100 man hours of labor. not bad concerning the new Weber 22" Performer Deluxe Black is 400.00 I know it has the gas for lighting the charcoal, but I have a few Rapidfire Chimney Starters. Some people may look at this and go WHY?! I say WHY NOT! I wanted It, I designed it, I built most of it and I did all labor except welding and Granite work and when my son could help he did. but for the most part I reallyLOVE it.

Now ask did this hurt your marriage? is she mad? To this I say no to both. The only thing is if @ctwhyme are hanging out drinking she hides any and all paper and  pencils  ;)

I told her my next one will have to be a Touch-N-Go gas ignition on two kettles...She said her next man wont cook LOL! Got to love that woman :)

Now some pictures...

The dream is born

Only put this out again because someone asked if I could add the pictures but I could not figure out how to anymore on the computer. In case anyone is curious finished her in March 2016 and she is doing fine! Cook on it about 3 times a week Rain, Sleet, Snow, or locusts ;D.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 05:05:51 PM by Shoestringshop »
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

GrillGuyMosier

• WKC Ranger
    • My eBay Items
Re: Old Custom Dual OTP pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 05:24:00 PM »
What a story! Awesome rig! Thank you for posting!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Text @ 419-619-6379

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 05:26:26 PM »
Wow amazing story and fabrication. Usually things like this are thrown together not drawn up in advance. It’s great to see the idea on paper before being built.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
And people say drinking is bad!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 06:17:46 PM »
What a story! Awesome rig! Thank you for posting!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ya some work but worth it.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 06:20:53 PM »
Wow amazing story and fabrication. Usually things like this are thrown together not drawn up in advance. It’s great to see the idea on paper before being built.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Ya over engineering a bit but want it to last. I had the paper with the design the whole time as to try not to change it to much.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 06:21:51 PM »
And people say drinking is bad!

Ya I heard that... but I don’t listen to well. ;D

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 06:34:54 PM »
I still think you should have made the beer bucket bigger.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 06:56:39 PM »
I still think you should have made the beer bucket bigger.

Lol me to! Next time I’ll put a SJ in the middle to put ice and beer in it.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 07:12:46 PM »
The dual OTP!!! Flippin love it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 07:16:38 PM »
The dual OTP!!! Flippin love it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks brother!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 06:33:14 AM »
Thanks for bringing this back to life.  I remember following your build back in 2016.  It was great to re-read it.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 03:10:37 PM »
Now I’m working on my next, it’s taking way to much time! Trying to build it perfect

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 04:11:11 PM »
Thanks for re-posting this, ‘String.

When original content atrophies, it’s as if the original idea dies. Archiving takes work, and there’s a reason it has value! Your setup here is one of those that make this place what it is. Thanks.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 04:36:48 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke I try to take pictures of all restores. Glad I keep a copy on my computer because I would have lost off of mine online.