Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: More people do prime rib this week or than usual or is it just me? My Prime rib  (Read 2361 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
I did my first prime rib over the weekend.  I couldn't pass up the $4.88/lb price!  I don't remember seeing so many people doing prime rib last year.  Were prices that much better this year or is it just kind of random that so many people did prime rib?

I'll add my prime rib and a description in the next comment.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
It does seem like more than usual. I have not been lucky enough to find prime rib on sale but a local butcher has it for $10.95/lb. I might make one on Sunday for an early birthday dinner. Cant wait to see how yours turned out.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
Prime rib was on sale for $4.88 a pound so I figured I’d give it a try.  I salted it as soon as I got home and put it in the fridge overnight.  Today I sliced into three pieces so it could be cooked sous vide.  @inkaddictedchef1's Prime rib the other day looked amazing so I did the same rub.  Sage, thyme, rosemary and garlic went into the blender with some EVOO then I added some salt and pepper.  The herbal rub was put on the meat then it was vacuumed sealed and then put in the sous vide at 125 for 4 hours.   I added two filets the last hour and a half.  The filets were rubbed with seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. 

I cooked baked potatoes on the grill indirect then when they were done I seared the prime rib and filets.  I did put the prime rib on the grill indirect for about 15 minutes.  I was worried that 125 might be a little too rare for my parents.  I think they ended up right around 130 when they were done.  I seared the fillets once the prime rib was done.  The filet really seared good after all of that prime rib fat dropped into my coals.  They came like they would in a red hot cast iron skillet.  Everything came out great.  I really liked the herbs on the prime rib.

The only thing I would change would be slicing it then dry brining it.  I was undecided until the morning after I bought and brined the prime rib as to how I was going to cook it.

Post dry salt brine

There’s a lot more garlic in there that you can’t see.  I used an entire head of garlic.

We’re all in this together and we love to take a bath.  (Extra credit for naming the song)

Good thing I traveled with my cooker and sous vide!  And an even better thing that my Mom got a Sous Vide a month or two ago.

Filet getting a quick salt brine.  Didn’t get any pictures of it seasoned or in the sous vide.

Prime rib after 4 hours at 125

Getting a little smoke and a few more degrees more internal temp while the taters finished up.

Filets starting to sear.

Forget lighter fluid. Prime rib fat is where it’s at!!!

Now that is a sear! I didn’t get any sliced pics of these but they were amazing.  They looked to have finished around 128 and were really dang tender.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:40:37 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Man that looks good
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
That looks awesome!!! What temp do you take potatoes to? lol never seen that before.
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
That looks awesome!!! What temp do you take potatoes to? lol never seen that before.

I always take me potatoes to between 208-212.  I brush them with melted bacon grease, then salt and pepper them roll them up in foil.  I don't poke any holes in the foil.  The skin comes out really tender.  I don't always run a probe in them, but did on this cook just so I could time everything else based on how cooked the potatoes were cooking.  Usually I just put them on the grill then use my instant read after about 45 minutes.  It does make a big difference cooking a potato to that 208-212 range in my opinion. 

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Wow all that looks amazing! Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
It does seem like more than usual. I have not been lucky enough to find prime rib on sale but a local butcher has it for $10.95/lb. I might make one on Sunday for an early birthday dinner. Cant wait to see how yours turned out.

I think it was more like $6-7 a lb at Safeway, but I had a "Just4U" coupon on the app for $4.88 so I had to do it.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger

I always take me potatoes to between 208-212.  I brush them with melted bacon grease, then salt and pepper them roll them up in foil.  I don't poke any holes in the foil.  The skin comes out really tender.  I don't always run a probe in them, but did on this cook just so I could time everything else based on how cooked the potatoes were cooking.  Usually I just put them on the grill then use my instant read after about 45 minutes.  It does make a big difference cooking a potato to that 208-212 range in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing the wealth!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

FrugalQ

• Smokey Joe
Is the song “yellow submarine”? The grub looks awesome. You guys are just adding to my ideas for my New Years Prime Rib.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 03:03:36 PM by FrugalQ »

Darko

• WKC Performer
I did my first prime rib over the weekend.  I couldn't pass up the $4.88/lb price!  I don't remember seeing so many people doing prime rib last year.  Were prices that much better this year or is it just kind of random that so many people did prime rib?

I'll add my prime rib and a description in the next comment.
THis time of year it's usually on sale. I normally buy 4 or 5 and stick them in the freezer.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Nicely done! Great presentation.

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
Looks amazing and I believe the song is Bath Tub Gin by Phish.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
Is the song “yellow submarine”? The grub looks awesome. You guys are just adding to my ideas for my New Years Prime Rib.

Bathtub Gin by Phish.