Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cracking of porcelain  (Read 4711 times)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Cracking of porcelain
« on: May 11, 2013, 04:43:24 AM »
I noticed this cracking on the outside surface of my 2009 26 in kettle. I also have the same on my 2009 performer bowl. Is this covered under warranty. I bought these new and registered them. There is some flaking and what appears rust.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: Cracking of porcelain
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 05:47:50 AM »
I think others have had success at getting cracked/crazed/rusty bowls like that replaced, yes.  The warranty against rust on bowls and lids is for 10 years.  I'd call Weber to inquire about it.  Expect them to ask for photos and an email explaining it, but I think you'll be pleased with the result.

BTW, I love how every photo of a Kettle is a kind of self-portrait.  Is that a red SS next to you? 
One of the charcoal people.

Jaronimo

• WKC Brave
    • Cooking in my Yard
Cracking of porcelain
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 06:43:55 AM »
They will replace the melted lid bale rollers too.  I just received a replacement set this week free of charge.

Love their customer service!
Copper colored Weber OTG, Black Weber OTS, Copper colored Weber E310, UDS, and a wood burning pizza oven.

Cooking in my Yard

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Cracking of porcelain
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 04:10:37 PM »
I think others have had success at getting cracked/crazed/rusty bowls like that replaced, yes.  The warranty against rust on bowls and lids is for 10 years.  I'd call Weber to inquire about it.  Expect them to ask for photos and an email explaining it, but I think you'll be pleased with the result.

BTW, I love how every photo of a Kettle is a kind of self-portrait.  Is that a red SS next to you?
It is a green SS that I picked up a couple of years ago. Thanks for the info - will give them a call to see what they will do.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Cracking of porcelain
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »
They will replace the melted lid bale rollers too.  I just received a replacement set this week free of charge.

Love their customer service!
You should see the rollers on the performer - they have drips that look like melted wax. It never really interfered with using them, but I will inquire about some replacements. Thanks for the heads-up.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 05:27:22 PM »
Miller, it might be superstition, but I've always had the best luck calling Weber CS right before closing time.  I mean, not at 5 minutes till the hour, but at the end of the shift.  Seems to me that when I call during the day, I often get a trainee or a new employee who doesn't know their stuff and who maybe needs to check everything against protocol.  But later at night, I get the impression that the more senior people are on duty (since I imagine the supervisors have gone home ;-).  These CS folks know more, ask fewer questions, can find odd items quickly, and are just generally more helpful.  And it might be my imagination, but I could swear they have a tiny bit of respect for us manic kettle-heads in our constant quest to rescue, restore, and respect the mighty Weber kettle. 

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 05:32:14 PM »
When talking about porcelain & melted rollers, an email w/ photos has been my best bet.  If you call, they'll most likely ask for the photos anyway.  Either way, I hope they take care of ya...
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 12:30:53 PM »
Sorry to bump this back up, but according to their sales catalog, the warranty is against rust through, not rust or cracking porcelain. Too bad the SS performer I got wouldn't be covered. A bunch of rust where the burner tuube is, and some cracking around the bottom.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 01:29:40 PM »
And it might be my imagination, but I could swear they have a tiny bit of respect for us manic kettle-heads in our constant quest to rescue, restore, and respect the mighty Weber kettle.
Or is that fear?  ;)
kettles, smokers...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 09:26:22 PM »
Mike, I've never read the catalog or warranty information, but I can tell you from experience that a friendly request to Weber CS will often invite the submission of photos of surface rust, which will result in a new lid or bowl showing up on your front step.  It's worth a try (or two) (or three). 

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 06:28:35 AM »
Sorry to bump this back up, but according to their sales catalog, the warranty is against rust through, not rust or cracking porcelain. Too bad the SS performer I got wouldn't be covered. A bunch of rust where the burner tuube is, and some cracking around the bottom.
You will sometimes get a CS rep that will be a stickler about this too. I had quite a runaround getting a Performer bowl replaced because of that exact issue. But they finally did replace it. I have to wonder if Weber will start to be more strict on this because so many of us on this forum and others have taken them up on their liberal customer service. I mean, we know the secrets, or at least the tips, on their CS and share them freely with one another.

I think they should cover this sort of thing, absolutely. It's a metal bowl designed to having burning coals in it!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 04:37:07 PM »
I had a few cracks on my Performer lid, much less that what you have on the 26 and they replaced it.  I sent a picture and they shipped it the next day....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X