Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best way to drill a kettle?  (Read 4220 times)

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Best way to drill a kettle?
« on: December 11, 2017, 09:12:02 AM »
I know this is a sore topic around here since most are more into preservation than modification but I am finally working on my 85 gallon UDS project.

What's the best way to get a hole started in porcelain coating without walking the drill bit all over the place?  I am thinking blue painters tape but I don't know how much traction that'll proved(or take away).

I appreciate any advice you folks may have.

Jim

Hinds90

• Smokey Joe
Re: Best way to drill a kettle?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 09:21:25 AM »
Interested in this also

duff645

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 10:36:26 AM »
Pretape the area with a scotch tape to mark the spot. Use a smaller diameter drill bit on a drill press at a low torque setting to create s pilot hole.  Then finished it with the correct diameter bit and a step bit to get rid of the loose knurls. I did this on a Weber rotisserie ring and a CB stacker ring.
ad fumant, condimentum in, ut serviant

FTTH

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 11:24:15 AM »
I drilled a probe port in my 22, 8 years ago. Very easy process. Determine the diameter and use a step bit or start off with a couple smaller bits and work you way up to the final diameter. Use new sharp bits. Cover spot with painters tape so the bit does not drift. That’s it. I didn’t crack the porcelain.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'm diving in!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Best way to drill a kettle?
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »
I use 2 layers of  clear
shipping tape. The key here is to use a very sharp bit and drill slowly. I have drilled  many vent, bracket, burner, and  bale holes without any chipping  whatsoever.

Also once you reach the hole diameter that you need, roll up a sand paper  and wet-sand it until smooth. Use high heat paint on the exposed metal. Good luck.

JV
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:30:17 PM by Jules V. »

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 01:42:21 PM »
I appreciate the help guys.  I got 4 very clean holes using 2X shipping tape and a new bit.  We had some up front, I'm building at work.  I debrred with a deburr tool.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 06:47:13 PM »
I drilled a probe port in my 22, 8 years ago. Very easy process. Determine the diameter and use a step bit or start off with a couple smaller bits and work you way up to the final diameter. Use new sharp bits. Cover spot with painters tape so the bit does not drift. That’s it. I didn’t crack the porcelain.

This is exactly how I was taught to do it here, also. It works!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 02:24:19 AM »
Depending on what you are drilling and where, you may want to consider what will happen with the exposed metal. I have drilled a few holes in my WSM for mods and covered the bare metal with some high heat paint. That may not work as well on a Kettle considering the temps, but you should consider that it will cause rust in the long run.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 05:53:54 AM »
Good call, bigssa!  I'll be sure to apply some high temp paint to the exposed areas.

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 05:40:32 PM »
When I drilled holes in my WSM I started with a small Dremel stone bit to grind through the porcelain, then switched to a drill bit once I got down to metal. This prevented cracking the porcelain and also kept the drill bit from skating.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:42:22 PM by Dsorgnzd »

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 04:11:20 PM »
Back in the late 1980's I punched holes in the tops of new subarus to install the factory roof racks. Those things were beer cans. More recently, i have had to punch holes in my Jeep Wrangler's body panels and my WSM.

In case nobody has mentioned it, a good way to go is to use an automatic center punch like the Tekton 6580 on Amazon. I sill have my old BluePoint (SnapOn) and it works great. Mine is adjustable.

The other thing you want to do is to use a high quality unibit versus several regular drill bits. They drill smoother holes. The drill bits can drill bad holes and I even have a good set of cobalt bits.

Chase the holes as @Dsorgnzd suggested above. I have a similar burr in my Dremmel kit.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI