Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer max temperature  (Read 14617 times)

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
Re: Performer max temperature
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2017, 01:21:56 AM »
@Jules V. that looks good, you are on the right track. What was your stone temperature? and what type flour did you use in your dough?
Bert

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2017, 01:48:18 AM »
@Jules V. that looks good, you are on the right track. What was your stone temperature? and what type flour did you use in your dough?
The dough is a white pre-made dough from trader joe. Don't have an infrared thermometer so i don't have any idea about the stone temperature.  I've done 10 pies so far and all has been very consistent in terms of getting the toppings and crusts to cook at the same rate. The only issue I'm having  is the burnt edges.

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2017, 02:28:38 AM »
@Jules V. Thanks for sharing, try making your pizzza a bit smaller so your pizza rim is slightly away for the heat.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:35:19 AM by BertVentures »
Bert

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2017, 02:29:57 AM »
Update: Both of the mods (steel plate / stack) that I shared in previous post are not needed, but, I like to keep the stack mod to keep grill exhaust away from me.

Below is the setup I used in my latest heat test, where I found sliding the back by 1 to 2” as shown below is my best option to get insane high heat and very clean burn, producing very minimal smoke from briquettes or wood chunks.

With couple of wood chunks, I got over high 900’s F right above the stone (1 to 2”), the stone was 3.5” above the cooking grates using Mighty Pizza Stone heat diffuser and the stone temp was in the 500’s to 600’s F (MPS adjustable heat diffuser screws set to the lowest setting).  I need to raise the stone temp to mid 700’s F next time, I think that I can achieve that by placing all the charcoal below MPS in a mound. With that kind of temperatures, my average bake time should be around 3 minutes.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:34:13 AM by BertVentures »
Bert

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2017, 04:36:49 AM »
Bert was your lid vent open when doing the lid crack?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2017, 05:23:03 AM »
Yes, it was fully open
Bert

mick

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2017, 11:48:05 AM »
I like my edges crispy that way, yum!

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2018, 02:13:14 AM »
I did another heat test, this time I used Plywood clip mods to raise MPS 2" above the cooking grates and to measure above the stone at 1" and 2".  Using one full load of chimney starter and 1 pecan mini log at a time (not enough room to use more), MPS was about 600F and air temperature above the stone was averaging low 700sF @1" and low 750sF at 2".

I liked using the mini logs, the temperature fluctuated much less than when I used wood chunks, as it burned longer, but the only issue was the smoke, pecan mini logs generated much smoke than oak wood chunks, even when I had the lid fully open. I really wanted to use oak mini logs but Academy stores close to me have been out of it for a while.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:15:22 AM by BertVentures »
Bert

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2018, 04:26:57 AM »
I modified the Mighty Pizza Oven design and built a homemade prototype to go on my Kettle Performer. Here is the results using 1.5 load of charcoal briquettes (I can't share any detail of the oven, as I am still tweaking the design). Used ADY and Caputo Flour, same day dough. I didn’t rotate any the pies. Baking time:

1st: 60 seconds
2nd: 1 minute and 45 seconds, time went by fast, I should of taking it out way earlier.
3rd: 90 seconds

The charcoals were about 40% burned by the time I was done baking the 3 pies.

Bert

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2018, 04:41:13 AM »
Looks awesome
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2018, 06:03:56 AM »
Nice looking pies

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2018, 09:26:37 AM »
@JEBIV and  @inkaddictedchef1 Thank you, I was very happy with the results, it has been a long journey to easily bake 60 second pizza on a grill.
Bert

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2018, 09:27:09 AM »
Has anyone used ceramic briquettes with charcoal briquettes?
Bert

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2018, 07:29:02 AM »
I would eat those pies every day, and twice on Sunday. Those look great! Especially that mushroom & onion pie!!!!!

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2018, 04:05:17 PM »
I agree with others who suggest two chimney's worth of coals. One on each side with top and bottom vents wide open. If the stone is too big, it will block some of the airflow and heat. It's also good to preheat the stone and slide your dough on like they do in the pizza places.
26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.