Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wings direct on the blue  (Read 3068 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Wings direct on the blue
« on: December 06, 2017, 01:44:54 PM »
These will cook direct the whole time. I’ve talked about it before and it didn’t sound like common practice so I figured I would take some pics along the way. I haven’t done this on a three wheeler yet but I’m approaching it the same. Full lit chimney, half vent lowers, turn and rotate every 15. This usually takes awhile so I’m anticipating these will take a six pack at least. Evidently I cooked salmon on the blue the last time. This has me moderately worried of the flavor outcome even though I warmed it up sufficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:48:23 PM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Wings direct on the blue
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 01:56:25 PM »
First flip and rotate. Oh, the wonderment of covered bbq.

This is live action so I’ll be updating frequently.

RumBar

• WKC Brave
Re: Wings direct on the blue
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 02:27:51 PM »
Flip and sip!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 02:30:03 PM »
I've never really noticed salmon altering the flavor profile of my grills. You should be OK with this cook so long as the beer holds out. GOOD LUCK, WE'RE ALL PULLING FOR YOU.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 02:37:26 PM »
45 minutes. Pulled 2 off that were ready and gave to my son that is leaving to go to a pacer game. Opened all bottom vents wide open. About 45 minutes in.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 02:38:33 PM »
Wow they look great!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Wings direct on the blue
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 03:19:37 PM »

Final product. I would guess they took an one hour and 15. Outstanding results!  Crispy and juicy.  The family was very pleased.

I tossed half in franks and butter and half in bbq and butter once I pulled them from the grill.

So there you have it. Don’t be afraid to cook direct. While indirect produces good results and is easy, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the results that a direct cook will give.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:27:20 PM by HoosierKettle »

Bigmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 03:21:19 PM »
That’s a thing of beauty, I love me some chicken wings. Nice looking family of kettles you have there.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 03:36:15 PM »

Flip and sip!

More sip than flip tonight!

tmartin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 03:44:51 PM »
Looks great.  Love the blues.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 04:38:01 PM »
Well I'm still afraid of flareups but will try it anyway. I realize the lid takes care of the flareups, but that's a lot of little flippers to flip while the flames are flaming, no?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 04:52:49 PM »

Well I'm still afraid of flareups but will try it anyway. I realize the lid takes care of the flareups, but that's a lot of little flippers to flip while the flames are flaming, no?

There are 2 critical keys to success. Calm the coals before putting the meat on at the beginning and turn/rotate every 15. That’s about it. I like to start off with lowers half vented but I ended up needing full open towards the end. 

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 07:43:48 PM »
Very cool, thanks for sharing this!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Wings direct on the blue
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 12:24:05 AM »

I just realized my earlier response to this didn’t answer your question at all. Not sure what I was thinking.

I kind of run the tongs through the middle and grab as many as I can at once and I do a pretty quick shuffle, paying specific attention to flippers that need shuffled in and out of the hottest spots.

You usually will have a couple minutes before the coals start to flare up. Last night, it was just starting to flare up a little by the time I finished turning.

On a side note, I swear 3 wheelers do a little bit better job cooking just about everything if you have the patience which I normally do not.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:38:31 AM by HoosierKettle »

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 01:13:07 AM »
I stopped buying wings as they're priced almost as high as ribeyes on sale around here.  It's crazy.
Thighs are half the price.
Looks like a great cook. 
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM