Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for help modding LE red lid handle  (Read 5230 times)

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Looking for help modding LE red lid handle
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:58:53 PM »
Hey all.  I didn't want to hijack other threads with this.  I want to replace the taco handle on my LE red with an old style handle wrapped by a Zav handle, like @greenweb did.  I'm thinking a local shop could turn what is probably a piece of scrap into a new handle strap for me.  I'm wondering what the best material would be to use.  I would want to paint it red, but have no experience with high temp paint.  Any advice?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:00:58 PM by Grillagin »

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: Looking for help modding LE red lid handle
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 03:53:47 PM »
Hey all.  I didn't want to hijack other threads with this.  I want to replace the taco handle on my LE red with an old style handle wrapped by a Zav handle, like @greenweb did.  I'm thinking a local shop could turn what is probably a piece of scrap into a new handle strap for me.  I'm wondering what the best material would be to use.  I would want to paint it red, but have no experience with high temp paint.  Any advice?

It is an option, but for me, I like to stay Weber if I can to mod my kettles. Painting high temp paint which might come off does not appeal to me.

If you want the handle strap same color, I would take it off a beat up red donor kettle. My Red LE handle strap is from a beat up black donor kettle I saved to use later. I would have gone with a Red porcelain handle strap but no Red donor.  If someone has a beat up Red kettle that the handle strap almost falling off..... I would gladly buy it off you to use it on my RED LE.  ;D ;D ;D

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 04:30:20 PM »

It is an option, but for me, I like to stay Weber if I can to mod my kettles. Painting high temp paint which might come off does not appeal to me.

If you want the handle strap same color, I would take it off a beat up red donor kettle. My Red LE handle strap is from a beat up black donor kettle I saved to use later. I would have gone with a Red porcelain handle strap but no Red donor.  If someone has a beat up Red kettle that the handle strap almost falling off..... I would gladly buy it off you to use it on my RED LE.  ;D ;D ;D

Not a lot of red donors around here.  All I have at the moment is a brownie.  I could watch for a cheap black parts kettle.  It would fit the color scheme and be easier to find.  How do you break the welds?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 04:42:12 PM »
I would buy the weber fireplace handles and paint it red. Use high heat paint or even epoxy caliper paint.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 05:14:47 PM »

Not a lot of red donors around here.  All I have at the moment is a brownie.  I could watch for a cheap black parts kettle.  It would fit the color scheme and be easier to find.  How do you break the welds?

Beat up parts kettles are real easy to separate the handle strap since the welds are already rusting. Just wiggle back and forth until it comes off.

Black and Red color scheme is what I am also going for. The main reason I replaced the fire place handle strap I had earlier.  I may even replace Zav wood handles to keep that color scheme going.

What you had in mind to have one fabricated and painted high temp paint is cool too.  I did think of Red handle strap counter sinking holes and using countersunk bolts painted red. Then, it would look exactly like the welded handle strap.  I may still try this with my Red.  8) ;) ;D

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 05:23:19 PM »
I would buy the weber fireplace handles and paint it red. Use high heat paint or even epoxy caliper paint.

That is another great suggestion.

Here is mine before I replaced it. Just visualize it being red on red.  8) 8)

Here is the final version but Zav wood might go.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 05:30:14 PM by greenweb »

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 05:26:26 PM »

Beat up parts kettles are real easy to separate the handle strap since the welds are already rusting. Just wiggle back and forth until it comes off.

Black and Red color scheme is what I am also going for. The main reason I replaced the fire place handle strap I had earlier.  I may even replace Zav wood handles to keep that color scheme going.

What you had in mind to have one fabricated and painted high temp paint is cool too.  I did think of Red handle strap counter sinking holes and using countersunk bolts painted red. Then, it would look exactly like the welded handle strap.  I may still try this with my Red.  8) ;) ;D

Now the ideas are forming.  I hadn't thought about countersinking, which would look better than exposed bolt heads.  If I get one fabricated, I can have bolts welded to the bottom of the strap, so nothing shows above at all.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 05:43:56 PM »

Now the ideas are forming.  I hadn't thought about countersinking, which would look better than exposed bolt heads.  If I get one fabricated, I can have bolts welded to the bottom of the strap, so nothing shows above at all.

I thought of that too and is doable, but you better have them fabricate welded bolts so precise that they drop thru. Taco lid holes without touching the sides to min. porcelain cracks. Not to mention the welded areas has to be ground smooth and flat. Not that easy to do.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 05:49:02 PM »
I did a search for fireplace handles and they are apparently NLA from Weber.  I'm still thinking.  Didn't realize the welding would be a big deal.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 07:57:49 PM »
@Grillagin , let me take a look in my boneyard tomorrow... I may have a red strap for ya.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 08:01:40 PM »
@Grillagin , let me take a look in my boneyard tomorrow... I may have a red strap for ya.

Awesome!  Thanks!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 08:03:46 PM »
Not a problem, I know I have a red, just can't remember what condition the handle is in...
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 03:43:47 AM »
If you are looking to have one made.  I would go with High-strength low-alloy steel (HSLA) it's a type of alloy steel that provides good resistance to corrosion and will wear better than carbon steel.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 06:09:30 AM »
@Grillagin , this is the handle I have, its already been drilled by previous owner... let me know if you want it
Untitled by Darin McMaster, on Flickr

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »
Nice! If you can spare it, I'll make it work. I'm in a sketchy signal area until tomorrow. I will touch base with you when I get back to town.

Sent from my XT1032 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app