Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bottom round, top round ... ideas?  (Read 1019 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Bottom round, top round ... ideas?
« on: November 26, 2017, 06:27:31 AM »
Was thinking I'd probably never done these cheaper cuts of beef and they don't seem popular here with others.

Oh and I'm not referring to anything cut like steaks, but rather the ones that look like big lumps. Just do low and slow in a Dutch oven or other container? Rotisserie for half a day?

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
Re: Bottom round, top round ... ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 06:42:15 AM »
Put it on the rotisserie. Slice it thin for sammies or for roast beef and gravy. It's one of my family's favorite things that I do on the kettle. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/thanksgiving-dinner/msg342340/#msg342340
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 07:20:26 AM »
That does look good. I'll bump that thread with a newbie question related to it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

tmartin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 10:03:28 AM »
I cook round roasts all the time.  I've done rotisserie, indirect on the grate and on the WSM followed by a quick sear.   Like the thread above cooking to medium rare in the deepest portion and sliced thin is the way to go.  Usually only takes about an hour or two at 325.

With thinner cuts of the round I score the exterior about 1/4 inch deep and marinade with some soy, Worcester sauce, red wine vineger and various herbs and spices.  Scoring it gets the marinade in a little deeper and adds some crispy edges.  After removing from the marinade I usually put black pepper and paprika on it for some extra flavor.

It's usually tender enough to feed by 1 year old in small pieces, one of her favorites!

buttman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 12:32:11 PM »
I do mine on the rotisserie for Baltimore Pit Beef style sandwiches using this recipie then slice the rest for cold roast beef sandwiches during the week.
http://chefbolek.blogspot.com/2012/09/baltimore-pit-beef-with-tiger-sauce.html?m=1

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 01:09:13 PM »
I do mine on the rotisserie for Baltimore Pit Beef style sandwiches using this recipie then slice the rest for cold roast beef sandwiches during the week.
http://chefbolek.blogspot.com/2012/09/baltimore-pit-beef-with-tiger-sauce.html?m=1

Dang that looks good. I've been dying to so some pit beef but can't get enough free time at home recently. Do you have a meat slicer or just a nice knife to give you such thin slices?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

buttman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 01:16:31 PM »
I have a Chef's Choice slicer, it was under $100.
For the little I use it, it's perfect.

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 04:36:07 PM »
Nice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app