Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Top Vent Plastic Handle Remove / Replace  (Read 3919 times)

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
Top Vent Plastic Handle Remove / Replace
« on: November 09, 2017, 08:43:59 AM »
Can someone send me the link of existing post or their thoughts on how to:

1) remove the plastic handle from the top vent wheel without damaging it?

2) re-install it on an existing top vent on older kettle?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Top Vent Plastic Handle Remove / Replace
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 09:14:21 AM »
What I have read from others here is that you get a block of wood to press against the damper to hold it tightly down, right near the plastic piece. Then, "just lift up" on the plastic piece.

Do this even for newer ones that bolt on to the kettle lid, because that damper isn't flat, and you'll wind up flattening it if you take the whole thing off and use the floor to press against it.

Installation should just be a press fit back onto any other damper's tab.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Top Vent Plastic Handle Remove / Replace
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 12:55:02 PM »
Remove it while the grill /lid is very hot.   My dampers handle are practically ready to fall off when i get them very hot. 

JV
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:59:23 PM by Jules V. »

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 12:59:00 PM »
Remove it while the grill /lid is very hot.   My dampers are practically ready to fall off when i get them very hot. 

JV

Heat is your friend... wear gloves.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »

Remove it while the grill /lid is very hot.   My dampers are practically ready to fall off when i get them very hot. 

JV

You lost me there. I'm referring on how to easily remove the plastic handle on the damper.

JV

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 01:11:27 PM »

JV

You lost me there. I'm referring on how to easily remove the plastic handle on the damper.

JV

I think the suggestion is to fire up the grill and put the lid on so the lid gets good and hot.  That should heat up the plastic handle on the damper making it easier to remove.
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 01:12:21 PM »
I have removed and replace about 3 and the way I do it is to place 1-2 paint sticks across the round vent just under the plastic handle leaving enough space from the wood to the plastic to place a good screwdriver that has been bent to make a pry bar and pry against the wood to the handle on the outer edge L-R to pop up the handle. There are 2 buttons that hold the thing on and if you look at a late model vent without the handle you can see where the buttons rest when installed. Pry in this location L then R and NOT in the middle! I find that trying to pop up 2 is harder than one at a time.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 02:19:22 PM »
I use a plastic panel tool from work it has a tapered edge on it just jammed it in on one side and wiggled. On the first one the vent bent a little, just be gentle and go slow how ever you do it

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 05:52:21 PM »
I put my lid on the lawn press down on the vent with one hand and pull the handle straight off with the other.  Just make sure the damper doesn't lift.  Sometimes a little rocking back and forth helps.