Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help needed - "Adding Gas Assist" hole template  (Read 2627 times)

maXX

• Smokey Joe
Help needed - "Adding Gas Assist" hole template
« on: November 05, 2017, 05:29:56 PM »
Hello all,
I'm hoping someone can help me out with a Gas assist template so I can add to my non-gas assist performer bowl?
I've searched around pretty hard (But I am noOb so I've probably missed it...). I read the awesome article by Lawrence (http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/04/25/weber-grill-mod-adding-gas-assist/) too but can't seem to find an actual template anywhere...
Any help much appreciated.
Regards

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Help needed - "Adding Gas Assist" hole template
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »
maXX, Welcome to WKC.

I don't know if @pbe gummi bear (that's Lawrence) still has that template or if he can draft another? My @ mention in that last sentence will alert him to this thread.

Another of our Statesmen also did this mod, I think without a template. Here is that inspiration for you: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/sage-performer/

I think that so long as you ensure the oblong burner tube hole exists just below the charcoal grate, everything else about this project will fall into place. Show us your pics! http://pics.weberkettleclub.com
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 06:15:18 PM »
thanks for the shoutout, @addicted-to-smoke. @maXX, sorry I didnt get to your pm. I don't know where that template currently is. I'll see if I can find it.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

maXX

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 06:22:53 PM »
Thank you very much for the prompt replies, @addicted-to-smoke & @pbe gummi bear, they're very much appreciated!
You guys make it look so easy. I'm not really that 'handy' but I'm willing to give this mod a crack.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 06:31:45 PM »
To clarify ... I like to talk a big game but don't really know shit. And I've never done this mod, but have a few I'd like to try it on some day.

Still, I know how I work, and believe there's a certain amount of "educated" trial and error that can suffice for this sort of project. Take your time and you'll nail it. Having the confidence is easily half the battle when putting tool to hand. :)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 06:58:00 PM »
I've done this mod. As long as it misses the ash sweep and below the charcoal grate your good!
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

maXX

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 07:13:39 PM »
I'm one of those super-anal must-read-every-bit-of-the-detailed-instructions kind of guy before I feel as though I can really do anything.
I'm just not overly confident with drilling and I don't want to destroy my pride and joy.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 07:32:09 PM »
Oh well in that case, first pick up a beater kettle from craigslist and go to town on it! And also, where are you located? There are no gas Performers near you, used?

LOL I forgot to mention the ash sweeps, which is ironic. My old Performer, over time, acquired a certain amount of ashed-up gunk under the sweeps. And yeah, I couldn't move the lever because that nearest sweep was now hitting the burner tube.

Drip pans / foil placed under the meat is a good idea.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 07:34:26 PM »
The step-bit drill bits really do work well for this, or for adding a lid thermometer where none was originally. That, and applying painter's tape or whatever as the links demonstrate.

maXX

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 07:59:48 PM »
Thanks again very much for the advice.
I'm in Brisbane Australia. GA Performers aren't readily available here (to me anyways).
I always use a drip pan (did I mention that I'm a bit anal...?) :D

webbr23

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 12:25:32 AM »
Hi there.  I'm attaching a jpeg of template I created when I modified my non-gas assist Performer a couple of years ago.  I haven't used started cubes since.  I drilled pilot holes then used a Dremel with a fibre cut off blade to cut the "cat-eye"shape.  Fits like a glove.  Message me and I can send you the pdf of the template which will print to size.  This site does not allow pdf attachments.

Ron

[attachment deleted by admin]

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 06:26:45 AM »
I right-clicked it, downloaded "save linked file." Printed at 107% it's darn close. I was able to get the 30.00mm figure to match my ruler, but the 19.00mm figure came up as closer to 18mm.

maXX

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 01:08:35 PM »
Thank you so much @webbr23 !
I just need to get a position from the bowl lip...or wing it between the grill and the sweeper.

Meathook

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 07:25:58 PM »
I have a performer bowl off the cart I can trace some templates out if you're not in a hurry I will mail them to you.

maXX

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 10:42:07 PM »
Thank you @Meathook for the offer...but I'm in Brisbane Australia. Probably not worth your effort for postage.
Thanks again for the generous offer mate!