Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Regulator?  (Read 1532 times)

ABROB

• WKC Brave
Regulator?
« on: October 20, 2017, 05:35:00 AM »
I've got a Genesis with the front knobs.  Lately, it seems I need to disconnect the tank each time in order to get propane to flow. 

I always turn the tank off after each use.  Now, I come to use again, and a burner will light, but acts like it is running out of fuel. 

If I disconnect the tank and reconnect, it then works fine.

Is this a regulator problem?    Has done this on different tanks, do don't think it is the tank.

SixZeroFour

Re: Regulator?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 08:27:11 AM »
Hi @ABROB

It sounds like you are fighting with the safety lockout mode on your propane tanks. If the valve on the tank detects any irregularities with the gas flow it will go into safety lockout mode and will only send about 20% of the normal amount of gas. Make sure all of your control knobs are completely off before you first open the valve to the tank. Even if one is on just slightly (even a side burner) the tank will likely go into lockout.

If you experienced the same thing with 2 different tanks its very likely that this is the issue. A leak somewhere along the manifold could also be the issue as it would be enough to set off the tank...

Hope this helps,

Matt
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 08:29:56 AM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 08:29:10 AM »
There is a small chance it could be the regulator - but the fact that it resets itself when you disconnect the tank is whats leading me to believe its lockout. That's the exact procedure you normally use to reset a tank [emoji106]

ABROB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 10:01:34 AM »
Thanks - that's still a possibility even when I'm closing the tank right away?  I.e. there isn't much time at all where the tank is sitting there open with knobs or manifold potentially leaking.  Any good way to test this?
I'll have to mess around with it some more. Thanks.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 10:12:19 AM »
Yes, definitely still a possibility. To check for a leak open up the valve on the propane tank so the gas is flowing, then spray soapy water along the manifold and around the valves then keep an eye out for bubbles. You will most likely need to remove the front control panel of the grill to access the manifold. This usually means pulling the control knobs off from the front of the grill and then look for two retaining screws that hold the panel to the body of the grill.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 10:14:23 AM »
Matt beat me to the soapy water test ...

ABROB, what happens if you turn the grill off when done cooking, but don't shut off the tank? Will it work OK the next day?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ABROB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 12:54:16 PM »
Good question....will have to do some tests next week.

Thanks for the ideas.