Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How do I? Pork loin on an 18" WSM.  (Read 2688 times)

Sandrion

• Smokey Joe
How do I? Pork loin on an 18" WSM.
« on: October 18, 2017, 06:42:59 AM »
Hello all, first time smoking anything! Made an impulse by at the grocery store today and bought a pork loin. I want to smoke it on my WSM and get some experience with it.

First off, I am 'kinda' familiar with what the 'minion method' is, but wanted some clarification on how.

Secondly, how long and at what temp do I cook this bad boy.

Thirdly, add some wood?

Fourthly, a rub? Sauce? Plain? Wrapped after a certain amount of time to pull the juice in or unwrapped the whole time.

Thanks again, you guys are always super helpful!
I keep saying i have all I need. Then I buy another.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How do I? Pork loin on an 18" WSM.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 07:41:59 AM »
Nothing particularly tricky here, just do what you think is right and adjust as necessary for next time. With any grill or smoke, there are a zillion little details that alone don't probably matter, but collectively, will. So it's hard to know just where on the experience curve you might be.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 01:20:10 PM »

Nothing particularly tricky here, just do what you think is right and adjust as necessary for next time. With any grill or smoke, there are a zillion little details that alone don't probably matter, but collectively, will. So it's hard to know just where on the experience curve you might be.

Correct. There are so many nuances that you just have to try it and see. I have made full briskets 6-7 times on my 18WSM and I am still dialing in with minor adjustments each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 01:42:29 PM »
Hello all, first time smoking anything! Made an impulse by at the grocery store today and bought a pork loin. I want to smoke it on my WSM and get some experience with it.

First off, I am 'kinda' familiar with what the 'minion method' is, but wanted some clarification on how.

Secondly, how long and at what temp do I cook this bad boy.

Thirdly, add some wood?

Fourthly, a rub? Sauce? Plain? Wrapped after a certain amount of time to pull the juice in or unwrapped the whole time.

Thanks again, you guys are always super helpful!

Ok...

1) Minion Method and Soo’s Donut are probably the two most used with the WSM. There are a ton of YouTube videos and posts explaining. In short, fill the charcoal ring and dump a portion of lit coals onto unlit ones. How many? It varies...but 6-10 is about right. I use different methods for different cooks, but my preferred method is the Donut. Fill the charcoal ring, scoop out 6-10 coals from the center, light, then return. There are a number of variations of each. Some people use wood strategically, some sprinkle it in. Some dump their coals on one side, some scatter evenly, or with the donut, directly in the center.

2) So pork loin is a little different than using a bone in butt because it is very lean. I’d say you could run it hotter (325-375) and faster and you’d be fine. How long? I dunno...depends on the size....I'd say 1.5-2 hours depending on temp. Cooking low and slow is good to break down tough tissue and render fat, but a pork loin really doesn’t have either. Water in the pan is optional, but you’d probably want to line it with foil for easy cleanup either way. Use a dual probe thermometer if you have one...one for the meat, one for the grate. At the very least have a meat thermometer handy.

3) wood or no wood...depends on how smokey you want it or not at all? For chicken/lean pork I use very little smoke or none at all. That is my preference though and yours may be different. If you have apple or cherry, maybe stick one fist sized chunk in the charcoal ring near one of the vents (nearest the one you add the coals to). Or don’t add any wood and see how you like it this time.

4) again...completely your preference. Wrapping in foil will retain moisture, but also speed up the cook. It will also limit the smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 02:27:33 PM by Mike in Roseville »

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 03:53:43 PM »
I do whole pork loins pretty often in my 22 WSM. I trim some of the fat cap off, I usually just use some Lambert’s Sweet swine o mine rub, get the temp up to 250-290, dry water pan, usually use a little cherry or apple wood, take it to 135-140 internal, let it rest for 20 minutes, slice it up and devour it. So tender and juicy. You can inject or brine if you want, but I see no need for that unless you want to get a real specific flavor inside the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 07:19:00 PM »
@iCARRY

Bravo! That looks great!

Sandrion

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 04:37:57 AM »
Well guys, it's on! Donut method on the coals, trying for a 225-250 temp for the smoker. 145 for the tenderloin.
I keep saying i have all I need. Then I buy another.