Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cheap vortex  (Read 3929 times)

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cheap vortex
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 06:40:59 AM »
I personally don't think there is a substitute for a Vortex. You can get close but its overall shape and the material it's made out of is going to make it Superior to anything you can whip up at home. I've used one for a couple years and can only say great things about it. I don't like to try very hard though 😉

Sent from my SM-G892A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 07:34:25 AM »
I use the vortex for stir fry incredible, just have everything standing by for your stir fry
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 07:43:13 AM »
Dang you guys and your convincing nature. Got me thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 07:45:24 AM »

Dang you guys and your convincing nature. Got me thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Let's get ourselves the real thing and do a contolled comparison to the other types of charcoal holders. 

JV

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 08:43:38 AM »

I personally don't think there is a substitute for a Vortex. You can get close but its overall shape and the material it's made out of is going to make it Superior to anything you can whip up at home. I've used one for a couple years and can only say great things about it. I don't like to try very hard though [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
What exactly is the secret material that they use to manufacture the Vortex?  I know aerospace grade ss sheet comes in at least 15 different versions /grade ranging from a variations of 301 to 17-7PH and it's available in 14 or 16gage which I assume the thickness of the vortex. The  exact shape and size is easy to replicate at home. Just cut it and bolt it together.

JV

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 09:59:37 AM »
I use my V in the inverted position to rire roast vegetables for soups and salsa etc...Not quite as hot as in volcano mode but way hotter than just a pile of lit coals due to the fact that it directs airflow straight to the lit coals and nowhere else...

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2017, 12:05:48 PM »
I've used a Vortex for five years or more and will tell you it's a practical addition to your Weber toolbox.  I'm sure that the various "Poortex's" that have built by various members here are also very effective.  Of the four cooking options on their website, I've only used mine in the "Indirect-Direct" method, mostly for wings. 

I don't the physics of it, but from my experience, using the Vortex (or similar) provides a better cook on wings than just using the charcoal baskets.

Just did 36 wings last night and they came out great.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2017, 03:11:55 PM »
I use my V in the inverted position to rire roast vegetables for soups and salsa etc...Not quite as hot as in volcano mode but way hotter than just a pile of lit coals due to the fact that it directs airflow straight to the lit coals and nowhere else...

I think in your example the vortex is 'hotter' because it's reflects the radiant heat upwards. The SNS does the same thing here with a small handful of coals, wonderful.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2017, 05:05:48 PM »
Never tried the SNS so I can't make a comparison...

But I also can't see trying to make a cheap version of the SNS rather than buying the real thing...