Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Stuffed peppers  (Read 1258 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Stuffed peppers
« on: September 26, 2017, 06:36:07 AM »
These are small enough to be a meaty little snack, or combined with multiples and a real dinner.

I loosely followed this recipe: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/grilled-stuffed-peppers-363417 It should be obvious you can swap things in or out to your liking. Here's how it went today.

The substitutions:
cream sherry for the white wine
another 1/2lb ground beef for the venison (so, 1lb ground beef total)
ground garlic for the minced garlic
teaspoon of ground sage for the parsley

The additions:
1 cup of cooked corn
3 extra bell peppers. With 12 total pepper halves, I had the exact amount of mixture.
a lit chunk of apple wood smoking away opposite the coals.

The deletion:
I skipped the "oil for frying" aspect of a sample, to test the seasoning. I just went with what I had, knowing any indoor taste test wouldn't be relevant anyway.

I've always done stuffed peppers indirect, and it either takes too long for the beef to cook and makes the peppers soggy, or something. This recipe says to cook direct, starting "right side up" and flip one time, like a burger.

After assembling, I placed the peppers on a Bradley rack and used two baskets of coals (on a grate). This is when about to be flipped:

The Bradley rack covers more area than the two charcoal baskets do, so from the 10-min time the recipe called for the first side, I rotated the rack at the halfway mark so that all peppers had access to heat more or less evenly.

You can see that wasn't the case however, and two right in the middle never escaped the heat. So if I had had more even heat, that first side "right side up" would have been only like 8 minutes perhaps.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 06:38:56 AM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MDurso

• WKC Brave
Re: Stuffed peppers
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 06:51:53 AM »
fantastic.  This makes me hungry.

There are so many variations with cooking the filling partially first and/or par cooking the pepper first.  Adding a bit of water inside the pepper to control heat and allow cooking, stuffing halfway through, the various seasonings, (I've used rice, with tomato sauce, beef, cheese... )  It's almost endless.  I'm sure others have a bunch of ideas and approaches on this. 
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 07:06:28 AM »
looks delicious
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 07:38:53 AM »
those look great

i've had stuffed peppers on my 'to do list' for 10 years after trying them at a friends bbq - but I've never committed

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 09:37:10 AM »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 10:17:16 AM »
Those look really good!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 10:46:38 AM »
Yup. Nailed it. Beautious fixin's Sir!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 12:05:03 PM »
Thanks, but not everything from my initial post showed up. :)

I'll try and post the rest of this thread someday: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/kettle-club-discussions/is-72-44-89-31-the-site's-ip-address/

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 07:24:26 AM »