Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bushpig on the spit  (Read 1534 times)

Snowbeast

• Smokey Joe
Bushpig on the spit
« on: September 25, 2017, 10:57:04 AM »
I've just gotten back from a boys shooting weekend on a friend's farm.
One of the newer guys in the group shot a bushpig this week. He hung it for a couple of days and bought it along. Originally we where going to do it on a coal spit, but it looked like it was going to rain so we bought the gas spit down.
I'm not sure if you guys call it a spit or a rotisserie, but we call it a spit braai in South Africa.

Bushpig are problem animals in our area and it's coincidence that they taste nice.

First we attached the pig to the spit. Then we fired up the braai.
I can't tell you temperatures, it's done on feel, but the pig went on unseasoned.

After an hour we rubbed it with a salt and pepper mix and injected it with salt water. After two hours we basted it and kept injecting it.

We cooked it for 5 hours in total.
In the last hour we made the sides.
One was a beer bread and the other was pap/putu. (Pap pronounced pup (afrikaans) putu pronounced poo two (zulu))
Pap is maize meal and water cooked in equal portions.
You bring your water with salt to the boil. Pull it off the heat and add equal amounts maize meal and stir it with a fork until it's completely mixed.
Put it back on medium heat and cook for 40mins stirring every 10mins.

We made a sauce out of baked beans and chakalaka. Chakalaka is peppers, onion, carrots, chilli and tomatoes. It comes in cans in South Africa.

We had plates out, but we all ate with our hands. It's common in some South African traditions. You put the pots out and you take some putu, roll it in your hand, dip it in the sauce and eat it. I got a photo of the bottom of the pot. It's usually white and fluffy.

Bushpig is not a white/pink meat, but rather a dark/red meat. It has a slight pork flavour, but fatty mutton is also a good comparison.

This is one of my favourite cooks.

Next week we are going on a tactical pistol training course and will put a warthog on the spit.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Bushpig on the spit
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 11:07:33 AM »
Wow that sounds like quite the amazing feast. Looks like a really neat cooker. Would love to see what the coal version looks like as well. Not sure what the equivalent of bushpig would be in America. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »
Wow, that looks incredible!
Thanks for sharing this. I am fascinated with food in general, but especially meat cooked outdoors (and extra especially wild meat!).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 03:01:54 PM »
That's a awesome cook!!! Looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 05:18:38 PM »
Very cool, I like that braai you're cooking on.
May The Smoke Be With You!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 08:10:33 AM »
Very cool! Awesome cook

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Snowbeast

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 09:43:27 PM »
I'll try get a pic of the coal one this weekend.
I'm not sure what the American version is. We lucky in South Africa, so much decent game to choose from.
I don't condone eating or hunting predators.

Venison is only good if the cook knows what he/she is doing.

Pat G

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 01:45:58 PM »
Nice cook, thank you for sharing.
Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke