Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anybody Grill At Night? What's Your Setup?  (Read 4151 times)

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
Anybody Grill At Night? What's Your Setup?
« on: September 17, 2017, 09:58:35 AM »
If you're like me you end up grilling/eating later than "normal" I have a 1 year old and 3 year old on top of a 60 hour work week. I don't have any lights on my house near where the grill is set up so I had to improvise. I work on cars/toys etc. in the garage when I get a little free time and I have this slick LED magnetic light I use for tight spots in the engine bay. I tried it out last night with the grill and it worked pretty good but I made me curious what others use to grill in the dark. Here's my quick set up last night, it can definitely be improved on!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: Anybody Grill At Night? What's Your Setup?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »
Mine is very similar except that I have mounted one of those patio umbrellas on the deck railing so that I can also grill in the rain.  I've clamped a floodlight to the pole of the umbrella.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »
Mine is very similar except that I have mounted one of those patio umbrellas on the deck railing so that I can also grill in the rain.  I've clamped a floodlight to the pole of the umbrella.

BD
I like the umbrella idea for rainy days! Hmmm now ya got me thinkin. I've seen some of those umbrellas at home depot with the LED lights built in, I might have to take a look at those they might be on sale this time of year! Thanks

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 11:22:41 AM »
I wear a headlamp. Easiest way to go, imo.

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 02:07:33 PM »
Several times. It's not like cooking in daylight, but it does the job.
Still need a 22” yellow

dmperfection101

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 03:57:08 PM »
All the time. I work on my own cars too. I use a Pelican led/xenon and halogen combo headlamp. Looks like this http://www.nationalfirefighter.com/store/p/3397-Pelican-HeadsUp-Lite-2620.aspx.

Fantastic for watching what I'm doing under the hood of my cars and under the lid of my grills.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dmperfection101

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 06:45:48 PM »
Decided to grill in the dark again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 05:52:19 AM »
I also use a battery powered work light on my performer table and a headlight like others have mentioned.   Thanks to @Big Dawg 's umbrella comment, I am now going to try and rig up and umbrella holder to my performer.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 06:10:53 AM »
I end up grilling at night too.  a 40 watt light or holding the iPhone in my mouth with the flashlight on.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Pat G

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 06:14:35 AM »
Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 08:06:25 AM »

BD
I like the umbrella idea for rainy days! Hmmm now ya got me thinkin. I've seen some of those umbrellas at home depot with the LED lights built in, I might have to take a look at those they might be on sale this time of year! Thanks

Hey @Vette10R, I used 8" scrap of treated 2x4 (on it's end) to raise the umbrella and keep it from scaring the deck boards.  Then I secured it with three heavy duty Zip Ties.  It stays up year 'round and I even only lower it when we're expecting 40 mph or higher winds.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

MTW524

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 08:15:26 AM »
I use a handsfree head lamp.

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 08:45:42 AM »

I have the Home Depot Umbrella with LEDs. We've had it three summers, and it's great. The LEDs are powered by a small solar panel in the top, and surprisingly they all work perfectly after three years in the elements.
The lights do a great job of flooding an area evenly, but they might not be as bright as you'd hope. I didn't want sparks or coals getting onto the canopy of mine, so it isn't over the grills.