Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Not sure if this is the palce to ask...  (Read 6275 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Not sure if this is the palce to ask...
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 07:48:57 PM »
I've posted pics of my 85 gallon drum with the 26.75" OTG lid on my Left Hand Smoke FB page. Doing some test burns with a couple Firebasket setups

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2017, 04:56:33 AM »
@swamprb I just checked out your pic & video.  You've convinced me to use the hinge on at least the drum.  Maybe the mini ranch?  I'll have to see how I like it/how it feels.

I've still got a long way to go with material gathering for both projects though.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2017, 07:13:31 AM »

The only thing holding me back from adding a hinge to the mini Ranch is the fact I love using the rotisserie on it

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 07:25:07 AM »
Brian I love the post on that build. That is a sweet setup.

** Total RED Domination - 26" Mini Ranch Kettle **

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=63141&share_tid=27188&url=http%3A%2F%2Fweberkettleclub%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D27188&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 02:46:22 AM »
@swamprb I just checked out your pic & video.  You've convinced me to use the hinge on at least the drum.  Maybe the mini ranch?  I'll have to see how I like it/how it feels.

I've still got a long way to go with material gathering for both projects though.

To be honest, I'm not wild about the 22" kettle lid hinge on the 26.75" lid after using it for a few days.

Its a good design, but the weight of the 26'r is a bit too much IMO. The lid bracket need to be wider and taller (4 bolt pattern) to avoid lid flex and the possibility of causing the lid to get out of round. I'm going reinforce behind the hinge bracket and add a brace inside the lid.

Knowing this I'm glad I didn't add the hinge to the Red Mini Ranch

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 06:36:50 AM »
I appreciate the feedback. Fortunately, I haven't started the build(s) yet.

So....... anyone have any ideas?  I'm still leaning toward the lid bale or a modified version of it.  I found some picture of drums and WSMs with Slide Asides on them.  I would think a lid bale with some thread spacers to get it further out would get me there?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:16:36 AM by Bubblehead »

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 02:37:11 AM »
I appreciate the feedback. Fortunately, I haven't started the build(s) yet.

So....... anyone have any ideas?  I'm still leaning toward the lid bale or a modified version of it.  I found some picture of drums and WSMs with Slide Asides on them.  I would think a lid bale with some thread spacers to get it further out would get me there?

I've seen a lot of drums and WSM mods and never any slide asides with the rollers and rear brace.

Even the Weber 8411 that hangs off the bowl lip follows the contour of the bowl and on a drum would seem like it will stick out-I have one at home and should probably try it, but I ain't feeling it.

My Master-Touch Cajun Bandit won't accept the lid when the center section is in place.

Another option I've seen on a FB group was using the Acorn Kamado hinges on a 22" WSM. It would also work on a drum with a Weber lid.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:42:06 AM by swamprb »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 02:42:08 AM »
Have you seen hell fire grills "slide aside". Looks like a perfect application for it.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 05:53:27 AM »

Another option I've seen on a FB group was using the Acorn Kamado hinges on a 22" WSM. It would also work on a drum with a Weber lid.

AHA!  You've been in my head!  I was laying in bed obsessing last night and thought about trying this.  I have an Akorn Kamado (terrible product, BTW) and was thinking about getting an additional hinge as it would be beefy enough to do the job.  I wonder about range of motion though.

Just to add up front, my wife bought the Akorn for my birthday a few years ago so I can't just tear it down for parts.  I'd love to get rid of it but my wife would be butt-hurt and I really don't want to deal with that.  She means well....

Have you seen hell fire grills "slide aside". Looks like a perfect application for it.

I haven't seen that one, I'm going to check it out today though.  Thanks!

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 08:16:34 AM »
$20.60 delivered for the Akorn hinge.  I hate to pull such a blasphemous maneuver like this but I am trying to make this look like it was on purpose and I want it to work well.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 01:21:49 PM »

To be honest, I'm not wild about the 22" kettle lid hinge on the 26.75" lid after using it for a few days.

Its a good design, but the weight of the 26'r is a bit too much IMO. The lid bracket need to be wider and taller (4 bolt pattern) to avoid lid flex and the possibility of causing the lid to get out of round. I'm going reinforce behind the hinge bracket and add a brace inside the lid.

Knowing this I'm glad I didn't add the hinge to the Red Mini Ranch

I don't really have any way to weigh them for comparison, @swamprb, but do you think the 26er dome is that much heavier than a 22.5 WSM?  I'm looking for a CL stainless steel table that I can use for my 26er and was planning to add a hinge.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 04:21:56 PM »
@Big Dawg
If you look at the pics or vids of the lid on my drum it doesn't raise up 90* and the weight on the hinge bracket really is too much for it
I have a wsm hinge but haven't installed it. On others I've seen and played with it seemed more heftier.
I inquired about them on 26'rs and Jason Whitcomb sent some pics of some in action so they are in use

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 07:41:50 AM »

Can't seem to find this?  Do you have a link?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 08:20:47 AM »
Can't find it either. Send hell fire grill a message for a picture. His version is simple but you could jazz it up however you like. It's completely different than any option your exploring.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 03:06:38 PM »
Well.  Now I'm curious.  Anyone have link?