Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Not sure if this is the palce to ask...  (Read 6318 times)

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Not sure if this is the palce to ask...
« on: September 14, 2017, 06:28:27 AM »
I am gathering parts to build a mini ranch and a matching 85 gallon drum smoker.  Does anyone know how a lid bale will do on a drum?  I think I have seen people with them before but can't remember. 

I doubt I will get full range of motion but as long as it's close to the open angle of the older style lid bales (less clearance), I think it should be fine.  I plan to have the bale located on the back side so I can just slide the lid backwards into it.

I appreciate any experience or opinions.

Thanks!
Jim

MDurso

• WKC Brave
Re: Not sure if this is the palce to ask...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 06:32:19 AM »
I can try to help.  Do you have some basic dimensions and sketches (or even look-a-like interpretations/pictures)?
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 06:38:56 AM »
Are you using a 26 weber lid or are you wanting a bale to use with the flat drum lid?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 06:41:10 AM »
If weber lid, my guess is the bale would have to come way out further because of the drums straight sides

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 11:43:05 AM »
My apologies, I didn't do a very good job explaining what I'm thinking of...

I've seen these obnoxiously priced tables with bales that look to be vertical when in use.  I'm guessing the same could be done on a barrel?  It looks like I could fashion a bracket similar to this?

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 12:14:13 PM »
Or you could go this route. Pretty sure they can be found cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-KETTLE-Smoker-stainless-release/dp/B00RNF1Y5K

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 01:21:55 PM »
I have put them on flat lid drum smokers they aren't for me.  It's gives too much back and forth.  I've never put one on a Weber product though. 

Any input on how well it fits/works on a 26er would be appreciated.  It'd be far easier than dicking with a lid bail.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 12:47:31 AM »
@Bubblehead - I'm in the final phase of modifying my 85 gallon drum. Its a BDS 2739 Clone (Big Drum Smoker) Its got a 26.75" OTG lid and the main reason its not been getting the usage is due to the weight of the lid itself (and the flat drum lid) and the height of the drum (39" + 4'' dolly)

I got an Unknown BBQ hinge for the 22" kettle and stuck it on the lid. To be honest, I don't feel the a lid bale would work well on a drum.

When I swapped the Red 26'r into the Mini Ranch frame I added a lid bale, but after using it awhile I'm leaning towards the Unknown hinge on it as well.

I'll be posting some pics on my Left Hand Smoke facebook page this weekend. Feel free to hit me up if you have any build questions.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 03:35:10 AM »
@swamprb thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I have 2 unknown hinges just sitting in the garage. I guess I'll put them to use.

I'll definitely check out your Facebook page!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 07:52:33 AM »
the "problem" with a drum (I assume it's a vertical cylinder) is that on a kettle, the lid somewhat has room underneath.  With a cylinder shape, the contact point of the lowest edge will hit the drum and it will be upright.

You may have to get some wire and some clamps and form up a few trials to see how you like it.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 08:16:22 AM »
I agree with the vertical side being an issue.  Now that I look at that table more, it looks like they used a 26 bale for a 22 lid to get it enough room to work.

I'm going to reconsider the unknown hinges.  Like I said, I have a couple in the garage, I'm just leery of drilling (more) holes for something that I may not like.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 08:20:23 AM »
Be mindful of that hinged lid.  It may work but be side heavy or catch in a wind gust -I'm sure you are aware of all that.  Let me sketch something up and post an idea I have.  It may be more workable.  And you know.. something else to consider.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 08:40:52 AM »
just another rough idea...  Maybe I'm not following correctly though.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 11:36:48 AM »
You're following just as well as I am.  I'm really just exploring options at this point.  I have the 26er in my possession and the frame ordered for the mini ranch and I have an additional 26.75 lid for the drum smoker.  That's really all right now.

I appreciate your ideas for sure!

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 11:40:24 AM »
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! 

Hey.. it's not my idea, I'm just an enabler!