Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My growing midget mutt ssp family.  (Read 7732 times)

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
My growing midget mutt ssp family.
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2017, 06:37:38 AM »
@qwesthunter
Thanks for stopping by. You should definitely get the  insert. The price quite steep costing almost as much as a new OTP but it's well worth it in my opinion. Planning to get one more soon. The more you use it, the more you'll appreciate it's advantages. Being able to lower/raise the charcoal grate during a cook is just awesome as it basically allows you to control the radiant heat. It's also great for reverse sear. Not a perfect product as i still had to do 2 simple mods to make it better .  My 3 SnS, which used to be my favorite accessories are now relegated to full time smoking duty.
Maybe I'll  do a review one of these days.

JV
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:45:34 AM by Jules V. »

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: My growing midget mutt ssp family.
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2018, 07:43:04 PM »
@qwesthunter
Thanks for stopping by. You should definitely get the  insert. The price quite steep costing almost as much as a new OTP but it's well worth it in my opinion. Planning to get one more soon. The more you use it, the more you'll appreciate it's advantages. Being able to lower/raise the charcoal grate during a cook is just awesome as it basically allows you to control the radiant heat. It's also great for reverse sear. Not a perfect product as i still had to do 2 simple mods to make it better .  My 3 SnS, which used to be my favorite accessories are now relegated to full time smoking duty.

JV

@qwesthunter

JV

Awesome SSPs Jules.      I recently picked up a Caliente insert and am interested in the mods you did on yours.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
My growing midget mutt ssp family.
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2018, 12:46:48 PM »
@demosthenes9

Awesome SSPs Jules.      I recently picked up a Caliente insert and am interested in the mods you did on yours.
First mod is to fabricate a charcoal fence to prevent coals from rolling off the grate.

Coal fence is fabricated out of 2 large stainless steamer baskets. I just cut it out and joined it  together with nuts n bolts.  The fence is then secured to the grate using a bracket . It's about 2 1/2" high.  The height of the fence will limit how high you can raise the coals. Anything between 1 1/2"-3" should be ok. It you want to raise the coals closer to the food grate, then just cut off a notch where it lines up with the horizontal rod but i don't think it's really necessary.

Whenever it calls for, i use a poortex with varying diameter sizes instead of spreading the coals.

This mod is only necessary if you'll be using the stacker on grill with a table. Shortening the shaft of the crank handle will allow you to position it anywhere. I just cut the shaft and added extra counterweight to compensate for the shorter length.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:51:31 PM by Jules V. »

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »
I really like the insert pan mod!  Honestly, I like all your mode, especially the counter height redhead.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2018, 02:18:56 PM »
I agree.  @Jules V.  does do some cool stuff.

I really like the insert pan mod!  Honestly, I like all your mode, especially the counter height redhead.
regards,
Hal

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2018, 03:46:39 PM »
These are incredible. Really nice work man!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 06:16:51 PM »
Thanks!!  Those look nice and very functional.   I'm definitely going to do the coal ring.   

@demosthenes9

First mod is to fabricate a charcoal fence to prevent coals from rolling off the grate.

Coal fence is fabricated out of 2 large stainless steamer baskets. I just cut it out and joined it  together with nuts n bolts.  The fence is then secured to the grate using a bracket . It's about 2 1/2" high.  The height of the fence will limit how high you can raise the coals. Anything between 1 1/2"-3" should be ok. It you want to raise the coals closer to the food grate, then just cut off a notch where it lines up with the horizontal rod but i don't think it's really necessary.

Whenever it calls for, i use a poortex with varying diameter sizes instead of spreading the coals.

This mod is only necessary if you'll be using the stacker on grill with a table. Shortening the shaft of the crank handle will allow you to position it anywhere. I just cut the shaft and added extra counterweight to compensate for the shorter length.