Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Steroidal wings  (Read 1235 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Steroidal wings
« on: September 05, 2017, 06:16:57 PM »
There's really no point to any of this but to ask, why the F___ are these wings so yuge?

Pigs only had small packages of 5 pieces each, for $5/lb. Even at 5 packages for $20 ... yeah no. On to Wal-Mart(s) [inside joke for @chuck s ] and the "best deal" (price/pound) was a 4lb frozen bag, like such:

The setup was heat in the middle and meat surrounding it, and "let's hope they all fit." The chunk in the middle is apple from the "back yard" providing the mild smoke.

Only 16 pieces from that 4lb bag; they were YUGE, I tells ya! I thought they were normal wings that had stuck together and would fall apart during the cook and cause problems, uneven cooking, fall into the void and so on. But no. They were just yuge. I would NOT want to meet those chickens in a dark alley at night if you know what I mean.

While the frozen bird pieces transformed, Girl Griller inspected a box turtle.

I suppose they're done. Nope, just glazed* and ready for the final sear.

No glorious plated pix here ... A 10" deep-dish Griswold** became the serving tray. The rest is just the usual carrots/celery/ranch/blue cheese

* Cribbed from an Alton Brown wings recipe I didn't follow, consisting of sweet chili sauce, apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar, and Dr. Pepper. His called for:

1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
1/4 cup flavored vinegar ...
1/3 cup Dr. Pepper

My amounts were more like double that for this 4lb bag and it was just right. Bring to a boil, reduce it. Resulting liquid is about half of the original amount?

I'm not much for mixed drinks, but use the leftover Dr. Pepper from the can you opened to use with your favorite brown liquor for after dinner.

Frank's Sweet Chili Sauce, available pretty much everywhere, right? ... I was tempted by the little jar of Roland Garlic Chili Sauce because it was the only thing I saw from Malaysia, however, I wasn't wanting garlic-y stuff. So I went with Frank's since it was "sweet."

Somebody (probably an erstwhile Ambassador such as @Travis ...) will ask the inevitable: "SHUT UP ... HOW'D IT TASTE??"

First of all, please don't shout, you know how sensitive and tender I am. ;) Second of all, what was the question? OH, it was alright ... I guess ... chicken tasted just like chicken. Shazaam. Sauce was mild and OK, not my fav however. No kick to it. Mebbe I got the ratios wrong, or didn't "reduce" it enough? Alton Brown suggested table-salting them after the fact, but I haven't used table salt since about 1992 and don't intend to re-start NOW. Some people, like @chuck s ' missus are sauce-whisperers if you know what I mean.

I still like my tartar sauce (or mayonnaise) + mystery goop semi-glaze sauce better. Wings ... always a work-in-progress (for me.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Steroidal wings
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 06:27:02 PM »
they look like they turned out pretty good. Those are definitely abnormally large wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 09:54:06 PM »
Hello and Welcome from Il!
Oh, my apologize, I thought this was the introduce yourself section... [emoji57]
Glad to hear from you. How's the new place now? Settled in?
Nice post, now, "SHUT UP AND TELL US HOW IT TASTED!" Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 03:13:37 AM »
those look good, I experiment at times with sauces but I seem to go back to my one where abouts in Tn. did you move?
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 04:04:20 AM »
We're in Lafayette and settled in for Phase 1 (moved, but no permanent house or jobs yet).
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 06:07:34 AM »
Great looking wings, and welcome back!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC