Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Prime rib roast - pic heavy  (Read 2098 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Prime rib roast - pic heavy
« on: September 02, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »
Prime rib roasts were on sale starting Friday so I picked one up with the idea of having several days worth of meals to cut down on the amount of cooking I need to do while I'm on the midnight shift.

The store selling these doesn't separate the ribs from the rest of the roast so the first order of business is to clip the twine and do that, then truss it back up and get it rubbed down.  This was done while a chimney of Basques sugar maple lump charcoal was lighting up.

This is the first thing I've cooked after reverting the iGrill app back to v3.2.1 after trying to live with the version 4 upgrade.

Making sure the Performer with the iGrill mounted on it is within Bluetooth range of the back of the house where the kitchen is.

Sides getting prepared:

The iPad mini seated on the sill of the kitchen window by the stove keeps it on Bluetooth range of the grill.  Having the ambient temperature probe (top) and food probe (bottom) on the same screen in landscape mode lets me see at a glance what's happening with both the grill and the food in it over a wide range of time.  Both are features that are missed badly with the new version of the app.

At 121 degrees, dinner is not far off, but one last thing is missing...

Finished:

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Prime rib roast - pic heavy
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 09:55:33 PM »
Nice cookup. And very good photos.

You keep a level in your kitchen?

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 10:01:07 PM »
Nice cookup. And very good photos.

You keep a level in your kitchen?

Thanks.  And yes, I was trying to see if my stove was off level because everything was running to one side of a cast iron skillet on one of the front burners but it looks like the element's warped for the burner in question.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 04:18:32 AM »
That is a perfectly grilled roast. Great job, man! What is the sauce you used at the end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 04:34:05 AM »
I'm speechless. I haven't done yet but definitely on the list. Looks awesome.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 04:37:07 AM »
That looks amazing! Thanks for all the pictures.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 04:54:33 AM »
I haven't grilled a prime rib, but yours looks right on the money! Great job!

LabRat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 12:08:54 PM »
You should send these pictures to the iGrill software developers as a grate example of what you can't do with their current software.
John
In SE PA....On the wrong side of the MasonDixon line

BigEll

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 08:42:17 PM »
Could you please show how you fitted the igrill on the kettle later? Thanks [emoji120]

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 03:22:32 AM »
Prime ribs are remarkably easy to do; I wish I'd started cooking them sooner but I was afraid of spending serious money on a nice piece of meat and risk turning it into shoe leather so I'd pass them by even when they were on sale.  Now, whenever they're on sale, I make sure to buy one as a rule because they're a rare treat.  I've found that I definitely prefer these large cuts cooked rare instead of medium rare.  The next time I get one, I'm going to put it on the rotisserie since I haven't done that yet.

That is a perfectly grilled roast. Great job, man! What is the sauce you used at the end?

It was Knorr brown gravy.  There weren't enough drippings to scratch make gravy so I used a packet...

You should send these pictures to the iGrill software developers as a grate example of what you can't do with their current software.

I'm thinking about it.  Maybe they need to see how customers have been using the application to get an idea of what they need to design for?

Could you please show how you fitted the igrill on the kettle later? Thanks [emoji120]
/quote]

All I did was use the iGrill's magnetic base and stuck it to the horizontal piece of sheet metal below the frame on my Performer to keep it in place and away from the heat, then threaded one probe lead through each hole in the top vent.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 03:04:42 PM »
That is a good looking Prime Rib, @Lightning ! ! !

Haven't done one myself, but now that I just my roti, that may be on the agenda.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »
Looks excellent. Did they replace that iGrill feature with something else? Or just eliminate it completely? Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to just eliminate it completely.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 03:19:39 AM »
Looks excellent. Did they replace that iGrill feature with something else? Or just eliminate it completely? Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to just eliminate it completely.

Weber pushed out an update on the iTunes store and its Android counterpart that appears to have been built from scratch around a new user interface that's both buggy and woefully incomplete so most of the features everyone was using in the iGrill app are either absent or severely crippled.  According to the developer notes, Weber is adding features back in slowly but at the rate it's taking place at, it's going to be some time until it reaches feature parity with the old app; the new version was clearly far from ready for prime time and I don't know why Weber thought it would be a good idea to push it out as-is.

I tried to live with it for about 10 days after discovering that it wasn't backed up the way it should have been on my computer because of some iPhone syncing glitches so I ended up resorting to using a proxy debugger to trap iTunes store downloads so I could manually edit the requested version number back and cause iTunes to download 3.2.1 instead of the current version.  Then I used iTunes to push that over to my iPad mini after deleting the current 4.1 version I'd been stuck with after tapping "Update All" a couple of weeks ago.  I wouldn't call this much of an upgrade considering I ended up having to take heroic measures to revert to the previous version.