Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Extra large taco & extra vent.  (Read 4916 times)

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Extra large taco & extra vent.
« on: August 23, 2017, 01:20:54 PM »
Ugly but functional. 

JV
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 01:38:33 AM by Jules V. »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Extra large taco & extra vent.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 01:49:01 PM »
I like the extra vent [emoji106]. Keep us posted. Should make for a great wing cooker.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 02:05:58 PM »
@HoosierKettle

Don't have access to a thermometer that goes above 1000F any more  but I  swapped my summit thermometer last night and it hits the 800F max very quickly .  That's with 1 1/2 chimney of kbb.  Usually I have to crack the lid slightly to get that temp. 

JV

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 03:49:29 PM »
Nice upgrade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 04:23:36 PM »

@HoosierKettle

Don't have access to a thermometer that goes above 1000F any more  but I  swapped my summit thermometer last night and it hits the 800F max very quickly .  That's with 1 1/2 chimney of kbb.  Usually I have to crack the lid slightly to get that temp. 

JV

Nice!  That sounds exactly right. 550ish MAX without cracking a lid for me. And that on a 22. My 26 only reaches 600 max WITH cracking lid.

I've been wanting to do this on my 26 for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 04:31:20 PM »
@HoosierKettle

I use a stacker permanently on my grill and it seems that I can get a higher temperature with it.  Also once you reach above 900F, your bale roller should start melting. Had to replace it with stainless.

JV

mfridman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 06:14:32 AM »
Gentle criticism: why not put the bolt head on the outside and the wingnut on the inside?  Also, if you were willing to drill two holes to install your self-made taco, why not chop off the handle and drill the two holes to install the official taco handle? 

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 07:37:34 AM »
Gentle criticism: why not put the bolt head on the outside and the wingnut on the inside?  Also, if you were willing to drill two holes to install your self-made taco, why not chop off the handle and drill the two holes to install the official taco handle?

The reason I placed the wingnut on the ouside is that I  like  it to  be adjustable. While cooking i  keep it very loose to be able to easily adjust the vent opening . When done cooking,  i keep it very tight to help suffocate the  burning charcoal and more importantly, keep water from going in. Don't have a covered storage  or  use a grill cover.  Sure it looks  very ugly  especially with the multiple washers but in this case, function over form.
Options for the lid is either get a donor grill   and use the taco lid or somehow purchase  a  handle with the taco.  Didn't want to spend  more money so just decided to  make my own.  Not going after "original" or "stock" look.  Just  need a functional daily cooker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 09:01:22 AM »
I added a second vent to my UDS Weber lid. Helps me get higher temps  when it's colder out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 08:04:59 AM »
That is very brilliant with the wing washer and the vent.  That's the way to do it.

It's hilarious you've been calling the heat shield a taco.  I adapted some early designs off the Euro models to get that on the 26.  Looks like they kinda ran with my sketches afterward.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 08:29:39 AM »

That is very brilliant with the wing washer and the vent.  That's the way to do it.

It's hilarious you've been calling the heat shield a taco.  I adapted some early designs off the Euro models to get that on the 26.  Looks like they kinda ran with my sketches afterward.
The taco shield might not be pleasing to the eye but i just have to have it. I do most of my cooking at a very high temperature while keeping the charcoal  grate at the lowest position roughly 12 inches from the food grate. Only raise the  charcoal grate when searing. 

JV

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 08:39:36 AM »
Nobody liked them when they came out but it was to meet CE/UL req's.  I had a bunch of different designs, some more wacky than others.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 09:10:20 AM »
Love the bolt on handle also. Just can't stand the rust on the weld spots that form as soon as you started using the grill especially on the lighter colored kettles. 1 inch or larger fender washer inside the lid helps distribute the strain. 

JV

Pennball

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 05:26:13 PM »
How did you drill the new vent holes?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 05:34:47 PM »
How did you drill the new vent holes?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Just with a regular drill bit followed by a step-drill bit. Smooth it out with sand paper, high heat paint for the exposed metal.