Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First cook Cajun Bandit door  (Read 6139 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First cook Cajun Bandit door
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 07:28:52 AM »

I was super excited to use my brand new CB door and gateway hanger.  And then I tried Rub’s BBQ and lost all motivation to even try. 

True story.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Why

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 07:40:11 AM »

I was super excited to use my brand new CB door and gateway hanger.  And then I tried Rub’s BBQ and lost all motivation to even try. 

True story.

Why
Nothing I make will ever come even close to comparison.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 07:53:02 AM »

True story.

Why

Not with that attitude [emoji12]

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 09:19:56 AM »

It’s a grill not a submarine. Tiny wisps of smoke here and there are completely fine but a flimsy thin door that will not hold its shape with an equally crappy latch didn’t cut it for me.

This is the truth.  I see a lot of posts about gaskets and guys trying to get every leak and make kettles and WSMs air tight.  I don't think you'd want a cooker air tight.  If you want the most precise temp control, use the oven.  I highly doubt you'd notice any difference in pulled pork smoked at 250 vs 260.  I personally cook with a temp range in mind, not a set temp.  This takes the worry out of cooking and I still get great results.
[/quote]

Agreed. It's a grill and not a sub. Still, a gasket on the door will probably cure any leak issues at a lower price than the door. The stock door leaked pretty badly.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 10:22:13 AM »

True story.

Why

Not with that attitude [emoji12]

I'll try any cook at home, no fear, but would be scared shitless to serve it to most of the guys here!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 10:30:15 AM »
I don't feel that way at all @addicted-to-smoke and ya'll shouldn't either.  I've seen plenty of cook pics posted and while most of our stuff may not win 1st place, we make some damn good barbecue.  If I had time, I'd love to get into a competition or two in 2018 to see where I rank.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 09:56:24 AM »

True story.

You’re nuckin’ futs Charlie! I’m sure you’re a killer bbq’r. Mine was just something new to you, that’s all. Only way to improve is practice practice practice. That’s what I’ll be doing later today. Or come take my class in March ;)

In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 05:46:00 AM »

True story.

I friggin' love this setup. I have two 18.5's that are SCREAMING for this! Dang man!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 10:50:26 AM »

True story.

I friggin' love this setup. I have two 18.5's that are SCREAMING for this! Dang man!
LMK if you need parts.  Your green has not yet left the building. 

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 07:51:35 PM »

True story.

Charlie,

Don't be so hard on yourself! You've had some great BBQ. Great! You now know where you need to go, and practice is the only way you'll get there. Every time I cook BBQ I learn something new or find a better way to hone my process. We are all en route... even @Rub;)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 03:18:24 AM »

True story.

Charlie,

Don't be so hard on yourself! You've had some great BBQ. Great! You now know where you need to go, and practice is the only way you'll get there. Every time I cook BBQ I learn something new or find a better way to hone my process. We are all en route... even @Rub;)
Absolutely true! That should fuel your motivation, not defeat.

In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 11:28:44 PM »
I know that the CB door is a big deal for the 22" WSM. Is it as much of a difference maker for the 18”?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I did on mine.  I bought some of that gasket tape for lid also.  The only smoke coming out of mine is out of lid damper.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 08:51:51 AM »

This is the truth.  I see a lot of posts about gaskets and guys trying to get every leak and make kettles and WSMs air tight.  I don't think you'd want a cooker air tight.  If you want the most precise temp control, use the oven.  I highly doubt you'd notice any difference in pulled pork smoked at 250 vs 260.  I personally cook with a temp range in mind, not a set temp.  This takes the worry out of cooking and I still get great results.

I totally agree with the temp range in mind.  Best advice I ever got when I started grilling on my kettle grills and pellet grills was to not get too obsessed with temps.  Just get a range in mind and your food will still taste the same.  Soon as I used that advice my grilling went from being worried about temp vs having tons of fun and no such a worry wart plus my food tasted just as good as when I was a constant temp watcher. Lol
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 08:55:27 AM by wyd »
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 10:48:37 AM »
My 22.5" always burned hot with the OEM door, like 300F+. I was able to get it down and more controlled with the CB door. I'm not super picky with temp either but 300F+ is too hot for smoking.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791